Managing update configurations
In this view you can configure the general behavior of the Update Manager via its tabs. The Update Manager tab of the Global Settings > Update Configuration page allows you to configure the automatic update of the BMC Client Management modules Security Products, Virtualization, and Software Catalog according to your requirements. Any device with an Internet connection in your infrastructure can be Update Manager. By default, the master is preselected.
The update configurations do not work with IPV6. You must use IPV4 to be able use this feature.
This topic includes:
Understanding update status
The Status tab displays the current update status of the modules that can be updated by the Update Manager together with the different operating systems on which these modules can exist. It provides the following information:
|Component||The fields of this column list all components of which the automatic update can be manage by the Update Manager.|
|System||This column displays the operating system for which the respective component is applicable.|
|Version||This field displays the currently installed version of the respective component.|
|Status||This field displays the current status of the component, that is, if the component is of the latest available version (Up to Date) or if it needs to be updated (Out of Date). Any type of failed status, such as Download Failed, License expired will be displayed via a red flag. During the update process this field will also display the different stages of the process until all components are up to date.|
|Available Version||After a check was executed and updates are available for individual components this field will indicate their version number.|
|Last Update Time||This column displays the date and time at which the component was last updated.|
Updating parameter configuration
This view allows you to individually configure the Update Manager via the following parameters:
Activate Verification for Available Updates
Check this box to activate the automatic verification and application process for available updates. In this case the agent verifies if updates are available, if yes, downloads them and applies them to all concerned devices.
Schedule the Verification for Available Updates
Click the icon to the right to define the schedule via the Scheduler window at which the agent is to verify for available updates. If no components are selected below, the agent only verifies for updates without downloading them.
Automatic Download of Security Products and Virtualization v4
Automatic download of OESIS framework v4 updates.
Software Catalog Automatic Download
Check this box to activate the automatic verification and application process for available updates of the software catalog. In this case the agent verifies if updates are available, if yes, downloads them and applies them to all concerned devices.
Updating proxy options
If an Update Manager device has a proxy installed, this tab allows you to define its security parameters to access the outside. Be aware that if you are using the device as a patch manager or scanner as well as Update Manager , the proxy will also be the same. If the proxy was already defined for the any other functionality and you modify options here, these then also apply to the other functionalities. If you have a proxy that requires specific authorizations, you need to add the following address to the white list:
Changing update manager
If you need to define another device as the Update Manager, proceed as follows:
- On the Status tab, click Change Update Manager.
The Change Update Manager window displays.
- Select the new update manager from the available lists.
- Click OK.
The selected device is now the new update manager. The focus of the console moves to the update manager view of the device. There you can ensure that it is up to date by checking for later versions and if required updating the components.
Checking for available updates
To verify if updates are available for one or more of the components,
- Click Check for Update.
A verification is launched via the Internet to check for available updates.
- If none are found only the Last Verification date box above the table is updated with the date and time of this operation.
- If one or more updates are available this information is presented as follows:
- The icon color of the Last Verification box changes to either yellow (update available for at least one component) or red (updates available for all components).
- The value of the Status box of the respective component changes to Out of Date.
- The color of the Status icon changes to yellow or red.
After a verification indicated that updates are available for at least one component,
Click the arrow next to Update all Components and select the components to update. You can have the following options:
- Update All Components to update all components for which an updated version is available.
- Update Security Products and Virtualization V4 to update only the security products and the virtualization modules.
- Update Software Catalog to only update the software catalog.
The update process is launched.
- The available updates for the selected components are downloaded.
- The value of the Available Version changes to the version number of the version that was just downloaded.
- The installation process of the components is started.
After the update process is finished, the value of the Version box changes to that of the Available Version, the status will change to
Up to Date, the icon turns green again and the Last Update Time changes to the current date and time value. Any type of failed status, such as Download Failed, License expired will be displayed via a red flag. During the update process this box will also display the different stages of the process until all components are up to date.
Viewing local update manager status
To locally verify the status of the Update Manager,
- Go to the Device Topology > Your Update Manager > Agent Configuration > Module Configuration > Update Management node.
- Select the Update Status tab.
This view displays the following information about the current status of the Update Manager:
- Available Version