Launching patch deployments and assigning monitoring policies through XML
The entire process of creating, distributing and executing operational rules/software deployments can be accomplished within the Console . Alternatively you can include a XML file which contains information about:
- Assigned patch groups
- Assigned devices
- Administrator with which assignment is created
With this method you can modify patch deployments by editing the XML file without needing to have access rights to the Console .
Create an XML file with the following format:
You can mix object types in this file, that is, you can list patch groups with packages in this file, if they are all to be assigned to the same target devices and/or groups.
You can list device and/or device groups in this file, depending on the targets of the specified objects. If, for example, the objects are only to be assigned to device groups, the <DEVICES> section is not needed.
- Add the following step to a new or existing operational rule: Master Steps -> Assignment Management via XML File .
- In the Properties dialog enter the complete path to the storage location of the XML file as well the administrator name in the respective text boxes. This administrator is a default administrator that will only be used if no administrator is defined in the XML file.
Enter the directories into which the xml files are to be copied in case of success or error.
If an error occurred during the assignment process you can find explanations in the OperationalRules.log file.
- If you want the assignments directly activated, that is, to become operational right away, check the Activate Created Assignment box. If this box is left unchecked the assignments will remain paused.
- If the newly defined assignment is to overrule any possibly already existing assignment, that is, if the object is to be reassigned with the new information, check the Reassign if Assignment Already Exists box. If you do not check this box and such an object assignment already exists, the original assignment will still be valid.
You created an object assignment which launches a patch deployment through an XML file. If you want to change the schedule or modify the included patch groups/application policies/administrator, you can do so directly in the XML file without having to launch the console.
Unassigning patch deployments
This step also allows you to unassign patch deployment assignments. To execute such an operation the same information is required as for the assignment process. The only difference is in the contents of the XML file: the opening and closing tag of the file use the expression <OBJECTUNASSIGN> instead of <OBJECTASSOCIATIONS>.