Installing onsite on Windows and installation options
The installation of BMC Client Management is a simple, straightforward process carried out via a Windows Installer Service. While installing a master server, Windows Installer provides the possibility of installing SQL Server Express (if no database engine is preinstalled on your network), and the BMC Client Management console (these installations are described in the following steps).
This topic includes:
Installing master and console on Windows
The setup program takes you through the steps required to install the BMC Client Management master, including its predefined objects, on your server. The database used for this example installation is the SQL Server Express engine for which a new database and user are created with the default names and password. The tablespaces are created during the installation process as well. Links to the installation options topics are available wherever applicable.
- The installation example is executed on a Windows 8 device. To install the master and database on any other supported Windows version, you can see the necessary information where applicable in the Installation options for Windows section.
- For this example of master and console installation, neither SQL Server Express nor SQL Server are installed on the master server device.
- If you intend to install the master server with an Oracle database, first see Installing the master with an Oracle database for the necessary prerequisites before starting the installation process.
- If you intend to install the master server with an SQL server database with ODBC connection or an Oracle database, you need to manually create the database and tablespaces as explained in the MS SQL Server 2012 and 2014 with ODBC connection and Oracle v11g or 12c sections before starting the installation process.
- Decompress the downloaded archive in a temporary folder.
- Double-click the setup.exe file.
A Choose Setup Language pop-up requests you select your language for the installation procedure.
- Select your language and click OK .
- Wait a few moments while InstallShield prepares the Windows Installer installation and the configuration of BMC Client Management.
- A Welcome screen appears; click Next .
The License Agreement dialog box appears.
- Select the radio button to accept the license and then click Next to continue.
The Select Features dialog box appears on the screen.
If you execute the example installation using an SQL Server Express database, leave all preselected options as they are and click Next. Otherwise you need to select the components to be installed in this window.
The master requires that Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.8 or later be installed on your device. If the JRE is not yet installed and you do not check the respective box in this window, you cannot generate template-based reports.
At this point, you have several different options that are explained outside this main procedure:
- If you want to use another database, clear the SQL Server Express box and see the respective option in the Installation options section of this topic when the respective information is required.
- If you want to use SQL Server with an ODBC connection, clear the SQL Server Express box and see SQL Server with ODBC connection now. If you want to use SQL authentication, ensure that you already created your database, user, and tablespaces, as explained in the prerequisites topic.
- If you want to install the console on a device other than the master, clear the Console box in this view, install the master, and then see option Installing master and console on different devices .
- If you want to install the console as a Java Web Start console, clear the Console box in this view, install the master, and then see Option Installing the Java Web Start console on a 3rd party HTTP server.
A Ready to Install window appears. It starts the actual installation process.
- Click Install .
The Microsoft SQL Server Setup installation box appears with a number of changing views.
- Wait until the database installation is configured and finished.
If the JRE must be installed, its installation process is shown now. Click Install to proceed with the installation.
The JRE installation might take a few minutes.
- When the installation is finished, click the Terminate button.
- Once the InstallShield Wizard Initialized dialog box appears with its Welcome window, click Next to proceed with the BMC Client Management installation.
The License Configuration dialog box appears on the screen.
- Define if you are installing an evaluation or a production license:
- If you purchased the software and BMC has provided you with a specific license file, click the Select License File radio button.
- Click the Browse button and select the path to the license file in the Select License File window that appears.
- Click Open to confirm the file and its path and close the window to return to the wizard.
Leave the Create an Evaluation License radio button selected to evaluate the software.
Now all possible functionalities are displayed with a check box for each:
BMC Client Management - Inventory
Provides access to the software, hardware, security, and custom inventory functionalities, as well as the object, application, and resource monitoring. This functionality is also the minimum configuration.
BMC Client Management - Software Distribution
Provides access to software packaging and distribution of MSI, RPM, custom, and snapshot packages, as well as to the operating system deployment features
BMC Client Management - Patch Management
Activates the patch management functionality (patch inventories and deployment)
Provides you the possibility to remotely control all BMC Client Management devices and directly access the devices
BMC Client Management - Compliance Management
Activates the device compliance feature
- Check the boxes for the desired functionalities, then click Next to continue.
The User Information dialog box appears.
- To define whether the BMC Client Management master is installed for all user accounts of this device or only the account that is currently logged on, select the appropriate radio button and click Next to continue.
- In the Destination Folder dialog box you must define the installation directory. You can either select to keep the proposed default directory or click Browse to change the directory or create a new directory for installation. When you are ready to continue, click Next .The HTTP Port Configuration dialog box appears. In this window the HTTP ports for the agent communication and the console connection are defined, as well as the type of secure connection.
For a default installation leave all preselected options as they are. You can change these values, however, you need to make note of these changes as you are required to enter them for specific operations such as when accessing the agent browser interface or upgrading to a new version.
You now have the following options::
- Click Next to continue.
The SQL Server Database Settings dialog box appears. It allows you to define the BMC Client Management database properties.
For a default installation leave all preselected options and prepopulated values as they are.
In this case the database is created automatically with its default name bcmdb as well as the default user bcmdbuser with the corresponding password Bcmuser@06 .
You can change these values, however, you need to make note of these changes.
To create a user to connect to the database with a different name fill in the boxes Login , Password and Confirm Password with the desired values.
Depending on the choices you made at the beginning of the procedure regarding the database, at this point you have several different options that are explained outside this main procedure:
- If you selected to install SQL Server Express with the setup, the user part of this window is not displayed, and the default user is automatically created with the database.
- If you want to use an existing user, see option SQL server with existing user now.
- If the tablespaces are already created, select the The database and tablespaces are already created. radio button and enter the name of the existing database in the preceding Database Name box.
- For SQL Server the option Automatically create the database and tablespaces in the following directory is preselected and the path to the tablespaces filled in ( C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL/Data or C:/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data).
If the boxes are not correctly selected or prepopulated, the connection with the database cannot be established. In this case stop the installation and verify that your database installation is correct.
- Click Next to continue.The Out-of-the-Box Objects window appears, displaying a list of languages available for the predefined objects that come with BMC Client Management. These are a set of objects of different types, such as administrator groups, device groups, queries, compliance rules and reports, that provide you with a basic setup for your operations in the network.
- Select your language from the list box.
- Click Next to continue.The Configure BMC Client Management Agent Service dialog box appears. The Service Name box allows you to define the name for the BMC Client Management agent service. Select the Lock the BMC Client Management service on all agents running on Microsoft Windows option to prevent the local users of Windows devices from stopping the agent service. If you select this option, you also need to specify Unlock Password. If you are installing a Super Master Server system, clear the box for automatically starting the agent, because some manual modifications must be executed in the configuration files for this type of architecture.
- Leave all preselected options as they are and click Next .
- In the Continuous Improvement Program window, select whether or not you want to participate in the amelioration of the product and let BMC know your thoughts and ideas about BMC Client Management, and then click Next.
- Verify your settings in the Ready to Install window and then select Install to launch the actual installation process.
When installation is complete the InstallShield Wizard Completed dialog box appears to inform you that the installation was successful and the link to the console was successfully created.
Click Finish to terminate the master installation.
If the console is installed on the master device it is not installed in its own directory, but it is part of the master installation and only a link is created to the required files.
You should now see the gray agent iconin your systray, indicating that the master agent is initializing. When the agent is up and running the icon turns blue . A second InstallShield Wizard Completed dialog box appears to terminate the overall BMC Client Management installation process.
- Click Finish to exit the wizard.
Installation options for Windows
- Installing the master with an SQL server with an existing user
- Installing the master with an SQL Server database and ODBC connection
- Installing the master with an Oracle database
- Using SSL for interagent communication
- Using PAC for interagent communication
- Installing the master and console on different devices
- Manually installing relays (clients) on Windows
- Installing the console via the command line
- Installing the Java Web Start console on a 3rd party HTTP server
- Using the console download page for different types of installations
Where to go from here
The master and console are installed and you are now almost ready to log on to BMC Client Management and start rolling out your agents across your environment. The following topics will help you set up your environment so that you avoid running in problems later, and guide you through your first login and your first relay and client agent rollout:
The installation process comprises the following steps:
- Master and console installation.
BMC recommends installing the BMC Client Management master and its database on a dedicated server. To avoid issues and improve performance do not install on application servers.