Applying a patch to BMC Client Management
This topic provides information on how to apply a patch (also known as hotfix in earlier versions) to BMC Client Management 12.5. This topic has two main sections:
The BMC Client Management patches are cumulative, so the latest patch includes all the issues fixed in the previous patches. For example, BMC Client Management 12.0 patch 6 will include all the issues fixed in the patch 1 to patch 5. So, irrespective of the last patch you applied to your BMC Client Management environment, you can directly apply the latest patch. The patches are applied using the operational rules. For information about downloading the latest patch, see Downloading the installation files.
Before you begin
Before you apply a patch, you need to remove the contents of the previously applied patch:
Delete OneOff operational rules folders
You need to delete the following folders under the Operational Rules node from the previous patch:
- Client Management OneOff
- FootPrints Asset Core OneOff
To delete these folders:
- Unassign any devices and device groups assigned to any operational rule under these folders.
- Delete all the operational rules under these folders.
- Delete the folders.
You also need to delete all the packages from the the previous patch under the following folders:
- Packages > FootPrints Asset Core OneOff folder
- Package Factory > (Master) > Custom Packages > OneOff
If you are not able to view the Packages node, you may need to login using admin credentials.
To apply the patch
- Browse to the Master directory on your master server.
For example, for a default Windows installation is
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Client Management\Master.
- Depending the master server's operating system and bitness (Microsoft Windows 64-bit, Microsoft Windows 32-bit, Linux 32-bit or Linux 64-bit), copy the appropriate zip file to any location on the master server.
For example, BCM_12.5.0_160329s_ONEOFF_linux64.zip is a patch for BMC Client Management 12.5 deployed on a 64-bit Linux server.
- Extract the content of the master zip.
Run the upgrade installer:
Operating system Run command Windows upgrade.exe 32-bit Linux linux-master-upgrade.sh 64-bit Linux linux64-master-upgrade.sh
- If you have enabled the Automatic Agent Version Upgrade option (under Global Settings > System Variables > Connection Management), your client devices are updated with this patch automatically.
Otherwise, go to Operational Rules > Client Management OneOff, and assign the operational rules as described below:
- 32 bit Linux systems with the BMC Client Management 12.x client should be assigned to the rule named "LinuxOneOff"
- 64 bit Linux systems with the BMC Client Management 12.x client should be assigned to the rule named "Linux64OneOff"
- Mac OS X systems with the BMC Client Management 12.x client should be assigned to the rule named "MacOSXOneOff"
- 32 bit Windows systems with the BMC Client Management 12.x client should be assigned to the rule named "Win32OneOff"
- 64 bit Windows systems with the BMC Client Management 12.x client should be assigned to the rule named "Win64OneOff"
These upgrade operational rules are intended to be run on clients only. Do not attempt to assign these operational rules to the master server.