Creating a software contract
You can track compliance and usage of software license contracts. Unlike most other contracts, however, you do not relate the software CI directly to the contract. For software contracts, you add software license certificates to the contract, and relate the software CIs to the certificates.
For software contracts, you maintain the cost information in the attached certificates. You can view the total cost on the contract.
To create a software license contract
- On the Contract Management console, click Create, and select Software License.
On the Software Contract form, complete all the required fields.
A unique alphanumeric value
Brief description of the contract
Select the applicable term:
- Fixed — Contract expires at the expiration date.
- Never Ending — Contract never expires.
- Rolling Contract — Contract automatically renews at the expiration date.
Select the applicable status of the contract:
- Draft — The contract has never been executed but is going through the process of being executed. You can use draft status for contracts that are in negotiation or pending signature.
- Executed — The contract that is executed and valid. Executed contracts include active contracts that have started. An executed contract might have the following status reasons: active, change pending, on hold, requires attention, under renegotiation.
- Historical — The contract is not valid. Historical contracts include contracts that have expired, been terminated, or been canceled.
- Delete — The contract is scheduled for deletion.
The company associated with this contract
Note: Click the Profile link to view details of the supplier company.
Select who can view or modify this contract:
- Public — Anyone who can access contracts can view or modify the contract.
- Internal — Only people in the support group managing this contract can view or modify the contract.
The supplier associated with this contract
Accounting section on the General tab
The cost center that owns this contract. This field and the following fields are located on the General tab.
Contract Managed By section on the General tab
The support company associated with this contract
The support organization associated with this contract
The notification group associated with this contract
Optionally, you can assign an individual from the notification group to receive notifications for this contract.
Dates section on the General tab
Date the contract expires. When a contract expires, individuals are notified first, and then groups.
Note: Out-of-the-box escalations are set to fire once a day at 5 A.M. so the notifications are sent accordingly. You can set the escalation to fire at different intervals/times as needed.
When the contract expires, the notification contact and the owner contact are notified on this date.
- Out-of-the-box escalations are set to fire once a day at 5 A.M. so the notifications are sent accordingly. You can set the escalation to fire at different intervals/times as needed.
- Save the contract.
- Add license certificates, as described in Adding a license certificate to a software contract.
- Optionally, add details of the Terms and Conditions and Rights Granted for the contract. For more information, see Adding additional details to the contract.