Configuring a dataset for normalization
To successfully normalize CIs, in the Normalization Console you must first perform the one-time task of configuring the dataset for normalization. You can configure batch mode, inline mode, or continuous mode normalization.
To allow the Normalization Engine to extend the Product Catalog with new products from the dataset, select the Allow New Product Catalog Entry option. This means that CIs from the dataset are not rejected if an entry does not exist in the Product Catalog. However, you can miss an opportunity for normalization.
For example, a new variant of Microsoft Word is discovered as Microsoft Word 2007. You already have a Product Catalog entry of Microsoft Word and aliases for Word and Word 2003. If you allow the Product Catalog to be extended, the Normalization Engine creates a new Product Catalog entry of Microsoft Word 2007 using the product categorization attributes of the CI. If you do not allow the Product Catalog to be extended, the CI is rejected, and you can decide whether Microsoft Word 2007 should be a separate Product Catalog entry or an alias of Microsoft Word.
When configuring Normalization options:
- Configure your trusted discovery dataset to:
- Use the CTI and Name normalization
- Handle unapproved CIs, so that the CIs are created for the first time for new products
- Set New product handling to Create Product Catalog entry
This will ensure that the product catalog is updated with the products that do not already exist in the product catalog.
- Review the classes that are set up out of the box and add any additional classes that need to be normalized before you run the normalization process.
- In the System Configuration options, the Normalize all instances option should be selected only if you plan to renormalize data.
For more information about configuring a dataset for normalization, see Planning data normalization and the Product Catalog.