Manually managing CIs attached to a license certificate
The License Engine automatically attaches CIs to license certificates, based on company, product information, and answers to connection questions. However, if necessary, you can manually add or remove software CIs from the license certificate. Software CIs include the following CI types: Operating System, Package, Patch, Product, Software Server, and System Software.
If you manually remove a CI from a license certificate, manually add it to the correct license certificate. Otherwise, when the License Engine runs, it might attach the CI to the same certificate.
To add or remove a software CI from a license certificate
- Open the license certificate from either the Software Asset Management console or the Contract Management console, as described in the following table.
Steps to open the license certificate
Software Asset Management console
- Select the license certificate.
- Click View certificate.
Contract Management console
- Select the applicable software license contract.
- Click View.
- On the License Details tab, select the license certificate and click View.
- Click the Software Assets tab.
The Software Assets tab lists all the CIs that use the license certificate.
- To add a CI, perform the following steps:
- From the CI Type lists, select the type of configuration item that you want to relate to the license certificate.
- Specify the CI to which you are relating the current contract.
- To create the CI, click Create and complete the new CI form.
- To select a CI, search for the CI, select the relationship type, and then click Relate.
- To remove a CI, select it and click Remove.
- In the message window that appears, select whether to run a license job.
The license job checks for connections and compliance.
- If you run a license job, complete the Create License Job dialog box and click Submit.
The Company, License Type, and product catalog fields are filled in with values from the license certificate. In the Job Name field, you must enter a descriptive name to identify this job.