Performing an advanced CI search
Use the advanced CI search to perform a search of the BMC Atrium CMDB, based on CI type. You can refine the search by providing more specific search criteria from a set of selection fields.
When you search a Computer System CI class, the advanced search feature displays a further set of search criteria that you can use to conduct searches at the component level. For example, you can search for all computer systems running a specific patch or for all computer systems running Microsoft Windows 2000.
When you finish performing your search, the results appear in an on-screen table. You can generate and then print a high-level report of one or more of the CIs found during the search.
In the Advanced CI search dialog, you cannot search for CI records that have the status as Delete. To view a list of CIs with status as Delete, on the Asset Management console, select Filter by > Defined Searches > By Computer by Status > Delete.
CIs with status as Delete are displayed when:
- You search the asset form
- You select Application Administration Console > Custom Configuration > Asset Management > Advanced Options > CI Deletion.
To perform an advanced CI search
- In the navigation pane of the Asset Management console, choose Functions > Manage CIs.
- In the Select a CI Type dialog box, click Advanced Search.
- In the Select CI type area, select the appropriate sub-class, and then select the required CI type from the list.
For example, if you want to search for a LAN Endpoint, expand the Access Point menu item, and select LAN Endpoint.
Click Search to find all the items that match the selected CI type, or you can narrow the search by providing more specific search criteria. Continue with step 4 if you are providing more specific search criteria; otherwise, go to step 5.
Best PracticeBroad searches can take a long time to complete. They can also create performance issues for your system. We recommend that you provide a more specific search criteria.
- (Optional) In the Search Criteria for ciType area, provide the search criteria and click Search.
- In the CI Search Results area, select the required CI and perform the following steps:
- Click View to view the details of the CI.
- Click Explore CI to view the details of the CI in BMC Atrium Explorer. For more information, see .
- Click CI Report to view a high-level report of the CI.