A "per copy" license is approaching breach faster than expected
The "per copy" license type is based on the number of unique people using the license. Unique people are the people related to the computer system on which the software is installed. These people include both people related to the computer system through BMC Remedy ITSM with the "used by" relationship and people who are discovered with dependency on the computer system.
People created in BMC Remedy ITSM are stored in the People form, but are also reconciled into BMC Atrium CMDB in the BMC_Person class. People who are discovered by BMC discovery products are stored in BMC Atrium CMDB in the BMC_Person class. If more people are discovered on a computer system than expected, you might be using more licenses than expected.
BMC_Person records, when related to computer systems, are displayed on the Relationships tab of the Computer System form. The People tab of the Computer System form displays the people related through BMC Remedy ITSM, but does not include the people related through BMC discovery products. The Relationships tab displays records for all related people.
You can build a query to search for people as described in Using the BMC Atrium CMDB query dialog box to search for CIs.
To determine the people using a per copy license
- Open the Software Asset Management console and select the license.
- In the Related CIs table, select a related CI and click View CI.
- In the Product form, click the Relationships tab.
- Select the computer system CI, and click View.
- In the Computer System form, click the Relationships tab and count the number of BMC_Person records.
- Repeat step 2 through step 5 for each product CI that is related to the selected license, and total the number of BMC_Person records.