Testing your email server connection
After successfully installing AR System server, you can test the connectivity to the email server by sending or receiving a test email using the protocols (SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, MAPI, MBOX) supported by Remedy Email Engine.
You can test the connectivity to the email server by using the testemail utility located in the <ARSystem_Installation_Home>\AREmail folder.
To run the testemail utility
- At a command prompt, run the testemail utility located in the <ARSystem_Installation_Home>\AREmail folder.
- (Windows) testemail.bat
- (Unix) testemail.sh
When prompted, provide the inputs depending upon your requirement. For example, if you are testing for outgoing messages, enter 1. Enter 0 for testing the incoming messages (which is the default value).
- To test an Email Engine mailbox, you must provide the exact values as present in the AR System Email Mailbox Configuration form.
- If you do not provide an input value, the utility uses the default values. For prompts with multiple values, the utility considers the first choice as the default value.
- Enter the type of the server depending upon whether you are testing for incoming or outgoing email messages.
- Enter the server name, port number, username, and password.
The test results are displayed on the command prompt.
The following section provides few example screenshots of using the supported protocols to test the connection to the email server.
Send email using SMTP protocol
Receive email with POP3 protocol
Send email using MAPI protocol
Receive email using MAPI protocol