Setting performance and security options
Use the Advanced tab to create settings for performance and security:
- In a browser, open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console, and click System > General > Server Information.
The AR System Administration: Server Information form appears.
- Click the Advanced tab.
AR System Administration: Server Information form — Advanced tab
Edit the options listed in the following table, as needed, and click Apply.
Advanced tab fields
Area name Field name Description Default Web Path
Specifies the base URL for the mid tier and is used by clients such as Flashboards. The URL looks like this:
- hostName is the name of the server (for example, eng.remedy.com).
- contextPath is the URL context path of the AR System application registered with the servlet engine. This is set up during installation. The default value is arsys. If your company has multiple domains, use a fully qualified path name.
Enable Service Recording Indicates whether you want to enable the system for tracking service operations.
By default, tracking is disabled.
API Recording Client Types Indicates the client types for which you want to monitor the API calls. By default, this field does not have any value set which means that the calls from all client types are monitored. Specify values separated by semicolons in the following format:
- clientType — Indicates the client type to be monitored. This takes an integer value and a * value in this field indicates that API calls from any client type are monitored. For information on supported client types and their values, see Client types.
- ipAddressExpression — Indicates a regular expression used to match the source address. This is an optional value to specify. If you do not specify any value, all source addresses are matched by default.
Enable API Recording
Specifies whether you want to enable the system for monitoring API calls.
- Yes — Indicates that monitoring is enabled.
- No — (Default) Indicates that monitoring is disabled.
Maximum Depth for Hierarchical Query For forms that contain hierarchical data, such as manager and employee relationships, specifies the maximum number of levels in the hierarchy that a recursive query retrieves. By default, the maximum is 25. Enter any integer greater than 0. See ARGetListEntryWithMultiSchemaFields. Maximum Vendor Temp Tables Specifies the maximum number of temporary tables that can exist on an AR System server for a single vendor form. The
ARGetListEntryWithMultiSchemaFieldsfunction stores data from vendor data sources in these tables. By default, only one temporary table can exist for each vendor form. This setting applies to all vendor forms on the server. It is overridden by the value of an individual vendor form's
Maximum Vendor Temp Tablesproperty. Enter any integer greater than 0. See ARGetListEntryWithMultiSchemaFields.
Suppress Server Domain in URL Suppresses the server domain in the URL. The option is clear by default. Maximum Line Length in Email Specifies the maximum line length that can be in an email. The default is 1024. If a single line of the message is over this length, a return is automatically inserted. Limits the line length of email messages passed through the mail server to protect users from excessively long lines. Email Notification Web Path Specifies the base URL that appears in email notifications. If this field is left blank, the Default Web Path is used. (The Email Notifications Web Path field is available because the Default Web Path is specified for other applications like Flashboards, and it might be different from the mid tier web path for opening requests in a notification.) If your company has multiple domains, use a fully qualified path name. Security Active Link Run Process Directory Specifies the only directory that the Run Process active link action can run from, for example, C:\arsys. If no directory is specified, active link processes can run from any directory. Active Link Run Process Shell (UNIX servers only) Specifies the type of shell the Run Process action can use, for example, /bin/csh. If no path is specified, administrators can specify any shell. Allow arcache and arreload Enables the administrator to use the arcache and arreload utilities. See arcache.exe or arcache and arreload.exe or arreload. The option is selected by default. Transaction Control Maximum Connections Specifies the maximum number of client managed transactions (CMT) which are allowed on the system. Valid values are 0 to 100. When set to 0, CMT is disabled on that system. The default is 10. Transaction Timeout (seconds) Specifies the maximum allowed time interval (in seconds) between client managed transaction API calls. When a client managed transaction starts, if the consecutive API call is not made within the specified time interval by the client, then the server rolls back the transaction and the transaction handle becomes invalid. Valid values are 0 to 600. The default is 60. Localized Error Messages Localize Server
Enables the administrator to enable or disable localization of the server.
- Selected — The server is localized and is enabled for such tasks as searching entries in localized forms, or using BMC Remedy AR System Message Catalog to load the message. Clients are enabled to display localized messages, but clients still have local catalogs, such as the user.dll. You must select the Localize Server check box to see localized error messages.
Cleared (default) — The server is not localized. Such tasks as searching localized forms and the localization of messages are disabled. The server does not use the BMC Remedy AR System Message Catalog form, and messages are shown from the error catalog. The default message is displayed.
Note: If users in a different locale open a form with localized views before you select this option, you must flush the mid tier cache after setting this option to make the localized view available on the web. See Configuring the Cache Settings page.
Catalog Form Name Displays the name of the form the server uses to resolve error messages when Localize Server is selected. For more information about the BMC Remedy AR System Message Catalog form, see Localizing BMC Remedy AR System applications. Filters Maximum Filters for an Operation Specifies the number of filters that can be performed in an operation. The default and recommended number is 10000. Increase this number at your own risk only if you reach a limit in your system and you have verified that your workflow is valid. Maximum Stack of Filters Specifies the maximum number of nested filters and filter guides that execute to prevent recursive actions on the server. The default and recommended number is 25. Increase this number at your own risk only if you reach a limit in your system and you have verified that your workflow is valid. Server Group Server Group Names If the server belongs to a server group, specifies the name of the group. All servers in the server group share this setting. Check Interval
Specifies how often the server communicates with other servers in the group. Each server can register its own status, determine whether any server is delinquent, establish the parameters needed for sending signals, and determine operational responsibilities. Values are
- Default — 60 seconds
- Minimum — 10 seconds
- Maximum — None
All servers in the server group share this setting, and when it is changed, all the AR System servers in the group must be restarted.
Preference Server Preference Server Option
Specifies where user preferences are read from. The options are
- User Defined — Users can select whether to use a preference server, and this server might or might not be used depending on whether the Centralized Preference forms are defined.
- Use This Server — Users must use a preference server, and this server is an available preference server.
- Use Other Server — Users must use a preference server, and this server is not available as a preference server.
See Establishing a mandatory preference server.
Preload Tables Configuration Preload Tables At Init Only
If the number of preload threads is not zero, specifies whether the threads are used only at server startup or for all cache reloads from the database. See Setting the Preload Tables Configuration option. Values are
- Yes — If preload threads are configured, use them only at server startup.
- No — If preload threads are configured, always use them when loading the cache from the database.
For information about the corresponding configuration file setting, see Preload-At-Init-Only.
Number of Preload Threads Specifies the number of preload threads used when information is loaded from the database into the server cache. The maximum value is 30 or twice the number of preload segments, whichever is lower. The server might reduce the number of threads at runtime if it determines that threads would be started with no work to do. If this field is set to 0, the Preload Tables Configuration option is off. For information about the corresponding configuration file setting, see Num-Preload-Threads. Number of Preload Segments Specifies the total number of preload segments handled by the preload threads. Vary this setting to balance the load between preload threads and to optimize cache load time. A good initial setting for this option is 1/3 the number of schemas (forms) in the AR System server. See Determining the optimum preload settings. For information about the corresponding configuration file setting, see Num-Preload-Schema-Segments.