Set Fields data sources
The value set in a field can include static values and BMC Remedy AR System server keyword values, as well as a value retrieved from another data source. You can retrieve a value from any of the following general types of data sources:
- A field in the same form.
- A field in another form on the same server or a different server.
- A result from an SQL command. See Assigning values through SQL statements.
- A result from a filter API plug-in service (filters and escalations only). See Assigning values by issuing requests to a Filter API Plug-in service.
- The result of a function. See Assigning values using function results.
- A result from an independent system process. See Assigning values from process results.
- A result from an arithmetic operation. See Assigning values using arithmetic operations.
- A result from accessing a web service (filters and escalations only). See Creating web service clients.
The procedures in this section describe how to set field values by using BMC Remedy AR System server keywords, static values, and data from the current request or from any form on a BMC Remedy AR System server. For information about using the other data sources to set field values, see the referenced sections and guides.
Because filters and escalations execute with administrator permissions, field values set through a filter or escalation are updated even if the user does not have permission to change the field. However, active links execute with the permissions of the user, so field values set through an active link are updated in the database only if the user has permission to change the field. For information about changing the filter permissions, see Restricting filter data retrieval by user permissions.