Reviewing license usage
To ensure that your usage is in compliance with your purchased licenses, you can periodically generate a license usage report for each of your AR System servers (including each server in a server group). To gather information about license usage, each AR System server scans the system approximately every 45 minutes and writes the results to a file named LicenseReport.txt.
If you have more than one AR System server, regardless of their starting or restarting time, the logging time stamp is synchronized across the servers and the required information is logged in the file at the same time.
This topic comprises the following sections:
Information in the report
The report contains the following information:
- For BMC Remedy AR System and application user fixed licenses, the greatest number of licenses assigned at the same time during the period covered by the report.
- For BMC Remedy AR System and application user floating licenses, the greatest number of licenses in use at the same time during the period covered by the report.
- For each type of license, the maximum limit specified in the Add or Remove Licenses form.
- For BMC Remedy AR System and application server group licenses, the usage of licenses across the entire server group, including the individual server against which the report is run.
Although all servers in a server group use licenses from the same Add or Remove Licenses form, each server in a group generates its own LicenseReport.txt file.
- For BMC Remedy AR System and application server group licenses, the server group name and the host ID.
The report is written to a file named ReportResult.csv. You can generate it from the Administration Console.
License usage report
(Click the image to expand it.)
To generate a license usage report
- In the AR System Administration Console, click System > General > Add or Remove Licenses.
- In the Add or Remove Licenses form, click Generate License Usage Report.
- Click the calendar icon next to the License Report Start Date field, and select a date from the calendar.
The start time is 12:00:00 A.M. on the specified date.
Click the calendar icon next to the License Report End Date field, and select a date from the calendar.
The end time is 11:59:59 P.M. on the specified date.
- If the selected start or end date exceeds the time period covered by the server, the first or last date covered by the server is used instead. The time period covered by the report is specified in the report header.
- Make sure that the time zone for BMC Remedy Mid Tier and BMC Remedy AR System server is same, to map the start and the end date requested while generating the License Usage Report. If the time zone for BMC Remedy Mid Tier and BMC Remedy AR System server is different, the time zone for BMC Remedy AR system server is considered.
- Click Generate Report.
A message specifying the location of the ReportResult.csv file appears. By default, the file is stored in this directory:
- (UNIX) ARSystemServerInstallDir/Db
- (Windows) ARSystemServerInstallDir\ARServer\Db
The license usage report is displayed in a CSV-compatible viewer, such as Microsoft Excel.
You can also use the produse.exe utility to generate a license usage report. See Generating a license usage report.
Reporting license usage within a date range
By default, the information in the license usage report is based on all the license usage data stored on the server. To limit the information in the license usage report, specify a date range when running a license usage report.
Verifying purchased licenses
To obtain an up-to-date list of your AR System licenses, you can request a reconciliation report of purchased licenses from BMC. Contact your BMC Sales representative or Customer Support (see Support information).
- Recording and tracking license usage
- Generating a license usage report
- License types for users to access BMC Remedy AR System server