Releasing floating licenses to a license pool
A floating license is automatically released back to the pool of available licenses in the following conditions:
- A user logs out of the client (For example, BMC Remedy Mid Tier, Remedy with SmartIT, and BMC Digital Workplace).
- A user closes all the client sessions running on the system.
For example, If you close the browser window where BMC Remedy Mid Tier is running, the system performs an automatic logout after a short delay. For more information about license release timeouts, see the License Release Timeout 30 -300 Seconds row in the General Settings parameters table in the Configuring the General Settings page section.
- A user does not perform a BMC Remedy AR System operation for the period of time specified in the floating license time-out interval. For more information, see the Floating License Timeout (hours) row in the Timeout tab fields table on the Setting timeout options section.
- Floating license timeout is different than the mid tier session timeout.
- A floating user license is not released when the mid tier session has timed out. In such a case, the floating license is released when it times out on the server.
- An application specific license is not managed with the timeout value that depends on accessing application-specific objects. All licenses acquired by a user are managed as a group. The licenses are held if the user performs any activity.
Administrators can manually release user's license one time in a 24-hour period by using the following procedure.
To release a floating license
- In a browser, open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console, and click System > Application > Users/Groups/Roles > License Review.
- From the Category list in the Manage User Licenses form, select Current Licenses.
- From the License Type list, select Floating. A list of users with the selected license type appears.
- From the list of active users, select the appropriate user.
Click Release User. The license held by that user is released. Another user can take the license and start working. "If the original user returns, the user cannot regain their full write capability if no licenses are available.
If you release a Fixed or Read license, the above procedure removes the user from the list of current users; it does not affect the user's ability to connect to the server. The next time the user accesses the server, the user obtains the licenses again and the user's license information reappears.