Localizing the mid tier
In BMC Remedy AR System 6.3 and later releases, the mid tier picks up localized values, such as error messages, titles, menu labels, table page headers, application lists, and workflow messages from the server where the form is stored.
To localize the mid tier, follow this process:
- Localize the mid tier messages in the mid tier property files, for example, LocalizedMessages_locale.properties.
You can find the .properties files for the localized languages that BMC supports in the midTierInstallationDir/WEB-INF/classes directory.
- Localize the AR System Message Catalog form. (See Localizing message components of a form view.)
- Select the Localize Server check box on the Advanced tab of the AR System Administration: Server Information form.
- Localize the login and logout pages. (See Using the Object List)
Creating localized login and logout pages
In BMC Remedy AR System 6.3 and later releases, only one login.jsp and logout.jsp file exist in the mid-tier shared directory for all supported locales. Login and logout pages are localized based on the user's locale when they are loaded using the LocalizedMessages_locale.properties files. For example, if your browser language is set to ja, you receive a Japanese login page.
To localize the login.jsp and logout.jsp files for languages that BMC Remedy does not support (for example, Vietnamese), create new .properties and new .js files for your locale as outlined in the following procedure.
To localize login and logout pages
- Make copies of the following files:
- LocalizedMessages_locale.properties file (found in the midTierInstallationDir\WEB-INF\classes directory)
- Translate the strings in these files for your specific locale.
- Store the later versions of the files in their appropriate directory.
For example, if you wanted to localize the mid tier into Vietnamese, put the LocalizedMessages_KL.properties file into the midTierInstallationDir\WEB-INF\classes directory.
- Set the locale in the AR System User Preference form.
- Make sure that your browser and operating system are set to the correct locale.
The next time a user accesses a form in a browser, the login page displays the localized version. Based on the translations of the strings in the new .properties and .js files, the mid tier automatically opens the login.jsp and logout.jsp pages in the correct language.
(Japanese locale and Internet Explorer 11) When you upgrade to BMC Remedy AR System version 9.1.03, the Japanese language characters are corrupted in the Attachment Pool field of a regular form.
- Navigate to the <Tomcat Install Directory>\web.xml file.
- In the web.xml file, set the MINE type as follows.
- Save the web.xml file.