Displaying version information
Version information is included in the following places in the product:
- The server version, including the patch level, is displayed in the Server Information form, on the Platform tab. To access server information, open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console and select System > General > Server Information.
- Client versions appear in the About dialog box (from the Help > About menu option).
- On Windows, executable and supporting file versions are displayed in file properties.
- The version of the reporting component is reported at the beginning of all server and client log files.
- On UNIX systems, the version is displayed in the global variable for shared objects.
- In JAR file modules, the version is reported in the manifest file. Use WinZip or jar to extract and view the manifest file.
On Windows, all BMC Remedy AR System background processes support the -version command-line switch. With this switch, a command can write the application's version string to its standard output and exit.
Shared objects on UNIX hold the version information string in a global variable so that it can be displayed using a utility, such as strings with the grep command, as follows:
strings <fileName> | grep "ProdVers"
strings libar.a | grep "ProdVers"
grep "ProdVers" is not used, strings displays all the global strings, and it is difficult to determine the version string from the output.