Assigning values by issuing requests to a Filter API Plug-in service
For filters and escalations, you can pass values from the Set Fields window to a filter API plug-in service. If the service is running, it processes the request issued and return the values to the BMC Remedy AR System server. These values are then loaded into the fields.
Before creating a Set Fields action that uses a filter API plug-in, you must create a filter API plug-in and perform certain configuration steps. For more information, see AR filter API plug-in functions.
To assign values by issuing requests to a Filter API Plug-In service
- In the Create Filter window, select Set Fields from the Add Action context menu.
- From the Server Name list, select the current server for filters and escalations.
- From the Data Source list, select FILTER API.
Filter API request
(Click the image to expand it.)
From the list, you can also select a field that contains a service name. The service name is passed to the plug-in server. If the plug-in server is running and the service exists, the request is processed. Otherwise, the Set Fields action fails and an error is logged.
The Plugin Name list contains all filter API plug-ins that are registered with the plug-in server. For more information, see AR filter API plug-in functions.
In the Plugin Name field, enter the name of a filter API plug-in service.
- From the Enter Input Values list, enter the values to be passed to the filter API plug-in.
- After you create a value, click Add to enter it into the Input Value List.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each value you want to add.
- In the Input Value List, make any necessary changes:
- Shift the position of a value by clicking the up or down arrows.
- Edit a value by clicking it, changing its value, and then clicking Modify.
- Change the field type by clicking the description and using the drop-down list to select a different type, for example, Integer instead of Char.
- Remove a row by selecting it and clicking Delete.
These input values are passed to the filter API.
- From the Name list, select the field that you are setting with the filter API data.
- From the Value list, select Filter API Values, and then select $n$.
The $n$ variable represents the values that are returned by the filter API plug-in service, where n is the index of the value in the returned value list. The menu list provides values up to 20, but you can enter any value. The $n$ variables work much like the values returned by the SQL command, as described in To assign a value by submitting an SQL command.
You can combine these values using functions and operations, for example, $4$ + $3$, that combine the fourth value and the third value of the output value list returned by the filter API.When the filter or escalation executes:
If you do not specify any filter API output values when you save the filter or escalation, it is saved as an ordinary Set Fields action. If you specify an invalid $n$ variable--for example, the filter API returns only four values but you specify $5$ --this action is equivalent to assigning a NULL value.
- The service name and input list value are passed from the BMC Remedy AR System server to the plug-in server.
- The plug-in server passes the request to the filter API and waits for a response.
- The filter API processes the request and passes back the values to the plug-in server.
- The plug-in server passes the value to the BMC Remedy AR System server.
- The BMC Remedy AR System server fills the fields with the output values that were returned by the filter API.