Adding a Select All or Cancel All check-box column to tables
By default, table footers contain Select All and Deselect All buttons, which enable users to select all the rows in a table and to cancel all their selections in a table (see the following figure).
List view table with Select All and Deselect All buttons
When list view and results list tables are displayed in browsers, however, you can replace those buttons with a select/cancel all check-box column (see the following figure).
List view table with select/clear all check-box column
Replacing the buttons with the check-box column reduces clutter in your user interface.
When a table has a select/cancel all check-box column, you select rows and cancel your selections as follows:
- To select all rows or cancel all selections in the table, select or clear the check box in the column header. For example:
- To select multiple nonadjacent rows, select each row's check box:
- To select adjacent rows, click anywhere in the first adjacent row, press Shift, and then select the check box in the last adjacent row.
- To select a single row when multiple check boxes are selected, click anywhere in the appropriate row. (The row's check box is not selected, but the row is highlighted and considered selected.)
- To select a single row when no check box is selected, click anywhere in the appropriate row. (The row's check box is not selected, but the row is highlighted and considered selected.)
Whether a table contains the check-box column or not, when multiple rows are selected, the first row selected is the primary selection.
If a table contains hundreds of rows, adding a check-box column might degrade performance. This is data and environment specific and may differ from case to case basis. With the default settings of chunk size set to 100, we did not observe any performance issues even on a one CPU/2GB client machine.
To add a select all or cancel all check-box column to a table
This feature applies only to list view and results list tables in browsers.
- In BMC Remedy Developer Studio, open the appropriate form, and select the table field.
The table must be a list view or results list table.
- In the Properties tab, select the Checkbox Column display property.
- Click the Down arrow.
- Select True.
Right-click the form, and select Save.
In a browser, the table now contains a check-box column, and the Select All and Deselect All buttons do not appear in the table footer. (In BMC Remedy Developer Studio, the check-box column does not appear in the table, and the Select All and Deselect Allbuttons are still visible in its footer.)
The check-box column is not backward compatible. It will not appear in pre-7.6.03 versions of BMC Remedy AR System server. Instead, the Select All and Deselect All buttons appear in the table footer.