This section contains information about:
- Defining a workflow to send email notifications
- Dynamically assigning templates to outgoing email
- Displaying date-time or numeric values in email notifications
- Deleting email notifications
- Using templates with outgoing email
The most important use of the Email Engine is sending notifications to users because AR System uses it to send all notifications, not just email. You must install the Email Engine to send notifications from the AR System server.
One major benefit of the Email Engine is the ability to notify users with a professional-looking HTML-formatted email. The following figure illustrates a notification that a ticket was created and sent to a user. In the notification email, users can then click a URL to open the ticket in a browser and view additional details about the ticket.
An email notification sent by the Email Engine
(Click the image to expand it.)
If you choose Email as the delivery mechanism when creating a Notify filter or escalation, you can send the following types of information in an email notification:
- Text messages
- Contents of selected fields (if the user being notified has the appropriate permission for those fields)
- Attachments (if an attachment field exists on the form)
- Shortcut (if you select the Add Shortcut option in the Notify dialog box, a shortcut is as an attachment to the email notification; this shortcut provides a link to the entry on the AR System server.)
To send email notifications, you must install the Email Engine. The Email Engine can be installed on a separate server from the AR System server processing the workflow. When you install Email Engine, point to the AR System server you intend to use. For more information about using filter or escalation workflow, see the Filter and escalation workflow considerations.
If you create notifications using the Submit execute condition with join forms, the fields returned in the notification message will not be populated. This is because there is no Request ID with join forms during a Submit operation.