Section 508 support for chat
The chat functionality supports section 508. This functionality has been tested on the following:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
- JAWS screen reader, version 11
- English language only
Since JAWS is a Microsoft Windows product, the section 508 support is limited to PC clients.
Make sure that you follow all the recommended required accessibility settings to work with the BMC Remedy Mid Tier. For more information, see:
On any form, such as the BMC Remedy ITSM Landing Console, which is connected to the chat server and where the Chat Data Visualization field is available, the chat functionality supports the following list of shortcuts:
- Ctrl + Alt + C — Opens the Start Conversation window
- Ctrl + Alt + O — Opens the Chat options that further allows navigation to:
- Change the status
- Active notifications
- Active chat sessions
- Ctrl + Alt + N — Opens and activates the next active chat session, if one is available
When you are connected to a chat server, the Chat Status and the Chat Options icons are displayed as shown in the following figure:
BMC Remedy ITSM Landing Console---Icons
Since the Chat Status icon and the Chat Options icon, both, are listed in the JAWS anchor links, you can access them using the standard JAWS shortcuts. For example, INS+F7. You can also access them using the keyboard shortcuts. For example, Ctrl+Alt+C and Ctrl+Alt+O. respectively.
For more information about using the chat functionality from BMC Remedy ITSM Suite, see Using chat.
Using the Chat Options icon
You can use the Chat Options icon for the following:
- Opening the status menu using the Tab and Enter keyboard keys or using the right or left arrow keys.
- Using the up or down arrow keys to navigate across the status and using the Enter or Space keyboard keys to select a status (JAWS announces the new status of the user.).
- Navigating to the notifications and active chat sessions using the up or down arrow keys.
- Accepting or rejecting pending notifications using the Enter or Space keyboard keys.
- Opening or exiting the active chat sessions using the Enter or Space keyboard keys.
- If JAWS is not running with the forms mode as "On", there may be inconsistent results while accessing items using the right, left, up, or down keyboard keys. Make sure that you use either the Enter keyboard key or the INS+Z key to switch "On" the forms mode, that is, to switch off the virtual PC cursor. This is valid for the complete chat functionality when JAWS is running.
- JAWS also announces any pending notifications after every 20 seconds until they are accepted or rejected. This announcement for the no-vision user is to mimic the blinking chat icon for a user with vision.
Starting a chat conversation
The Start conversation window has the list of friends, context users, and context groups with users within each group. It also has a Start Conversation icon and a Subject Text field, where the default focus is set. Once the focus is on one of the groups or friends, use the following keys for navigation:
- The Tab keyboard key to navigate between the Start Conversation icon, Subject Text field, and the list of friends.
- The up or down keyboard keys to navigate between the friends and the group lists.
- The Space keyboard key to toggle the selection of a friend before initiating a chat conversation.
- The Space keyboard key to toggle the expand or collapse of a group.
- The Enter keyboard key on a friend to start a chat conversation with selected friends.
- The A keyboard key when the focus is on a friend from context groups or context users to add to friends list.
- The Esc keyboard key to hide this window.
Opening the Chat Conversation window
Open the Chat Conversation window in one of the following ways:
- Start a new chat conversation from the Chat Conversation window by selecting one or more friends or a context users.
- Accept a chat invite from another user.
- Open a previously active chat session from the chat options.
The behavior and accessibility in all these scenarios is the same. JAWS announces the active chat window title and sets focus on the chat typing area. Make sure that JAWS has the forms mode as "On" for the appropriate navigation to allow typing in the chat typing area.
On the Chat Conversation window:
- Use the Tab keyboard key to navigate between the chat text area, conversation history table, and the Invite Chat icon that is available only for one-to-many chat.
- Use the Enter keyboard key with the focus on the chat typing area to send the message to the participants.
- Use the Shift+Enter keyboard keys to put a carriage return character in the chat typing area.
- Use the Esc keyboard key to minimize the Chat Conversation window and access it later using the Chat Options icon.
- Use the Shift+Esc keyboard keys to exit from the chat session.
- Use the Ctrl+Alt+N keyboard keys to navigate to the next active chat session, if available.
For more information about chat conversation, see the following sections:
- Starting a chat conversation (BMC Remedy AR System)
- Initiating a chat conversation (BMC Remedy ITSM Suite)
Using the Chat notifications window
The Chat Notification window is displayed when a chat request from another user is received. JAWS announces the notification as an alert. The default focus is set on the Accept button. Use the Tab keyboard key to change the focus to the Reject button and the Enter or the Space keyboard key to perform the action according to the focus.
Refer to following links to get more details on chat notifications:
For information about the section 508 support for the chat functionality known issues, see Known and corrected issues.