Logging and monitoring AR System server
The server provides several options to monitor its health and efficiency:
- Logging — The server provides extensive logging capabilities that you can use to track its activities. A few of the log files are mentioned here.
- Error log — Contains critical state information about the running server. This information includes errors encountered and timestamps of when the server started. Errors are always logged to this file.
- API log — Contains information about each API call made to the server.
- SQL log — Contains information about each SQL call that the server makes to the database.
Filter log and Escalation log — Contains information about the execution of the workflow objects on the server. The client tools can also log the execution of client-side workflow.
If AR System server logging is turned on, user logging preferences are overriden.
For more information on the above logs, see Log entry format.
- Server statistics and application statistics — The AR System server can gather statistics regarding the performance of the whole server, a single form, or a specific application in the server. These statistics are useful for fine-tuning applications and for addressing performance issues. The statistics provide information about the number of individual API calls made, and the total time that was consumed in processing these API calls.
For more information, see and Application statistics.
- SNMP support — An AR System SNMP agent can report on the health of the AR System server, and can be used for remote monitoring and management. For more information, see SNMP introduction.
- Log Analyzer — BMC provides a tool called the Log Analyzer that allows you to analyze the log files and generate statistics on the server's performance. The tool can help you investigate problems and performance bottlenecks. This tool is available on the BMC Developer Network (see http://developer.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-2973).
- DB Checker — The database consistency checker is a command-line option for the
arserver.exe/arserverdprocess to diagnose AR Server database consistencies for server initialization.
For more information, see Running database consistency checker and arserver.exe or arserverd.
- Logging to form — You can configure the AR System to log information to forms instead of files. You can add workflow on the Logging form to filter the log information. You can also search for results on different fields.
For more information, see the Server Information — Log Files tab and ar.cfg or ar.conf.