General approach for troubleshooting plug-in issues
To effectively resolve a plug-in issue, you should first isolate the issue to the server, plug-in, or to the context, and use the following guidelines.
- Identify the steps to reproduce the error.
- If a server group is in use, connect to each server in the server group and perform the same steps to see if the issue is isolated to one server in the server group.
- Review the error message to identify relevant configuration settings. For information on error messages reported by the plug-in server, see Error messages 8501 to 8799.
- If the plug-in has failed to load, check the plug-in logs.
- If the plug-in is of type Filter and if it has failed to load, the filter log displays the ARERR 8755 error. For example,
ARERR 8755. The specified plug-in does not exist.where
DSO.FILTERCONFIGURATIONis the name of the plug-in. Review the error message to identify the plug-in encountering the error and the plug-in server, which hosts the plug-in.
- If you receive the ARERR 8755 error message, check whether the AR System Administration: Plugin Server Configuration form includes the plug-in file name and path. For more information, see To verify plug-in server configuration.
- Verify that the plug-in file is located in the path specified in either the AR System Administration: AR System Configuration Generic UI form or the AR System Administration: Plugin Server Configuration form, and that permissions are consistent with the user who executed arserver.exe (arserverd). This is important if you are performing the installation as a non-root user.
- Verify that the plug-in server is running and configured properly. For more information, see Troubleshooting issues with plug-in servers.
- Restart the AR System server to restart the Java plug-in server. For information on how to stop a Java process associated with a Java plug-in server without restarting the AR System server, see Knowledge Base article ID KA370107. For information on dynamically loading the plug-in server, see Using the Java plug-in server for dynamic plug-in loading.
- Investigate the specific plug-in reporting the error. For more information, see Troubleshooting issues with ARDBC plug-ins and Troubleshooting issues with AR System Filter API plug-ins.
For more information on AR System Administration: AR System Configuration Generic UI form and AR System Administration: Plugin Server Configuration form, see Updating configuration settings by using the AR System Configuration Generic UI form and Configuring java plug-in servers.