FAQs and additional resources
This topic provides information that supplements the BMC Remedy AR System 9.0 documentation. It contains the following sections:
Frequently asked questions
This section provides answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about BMC Remedy AR System.
BMC Remedy Mid Tier
You can use the JSP servlets to make the mid tier scalable. For more information, see BMC Remedy Mid Tier scalability.
For mid tier caching recommendations, see About Mid Tier caching.
For information about setting up authentication using LDAP, see Server authentication.
Internet Explorer Compatibility View warning
This section provides answers to frequently asked questions about the following compatibility view warning
IE is running in Compatibility View. Please remove Mid-tier URL from either IE Compatibility View Settings or Registry location (AR WARN:9429)
This message indicates to the end user that the Internet Explorer has Compatibility View enabled through one of the following mechanisms:
- Enabled by the end user in the Internet Explorer using the Tools > Compatibility View Settings
- Enabled by the System Administrator, usually using a registry entry like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\BrowserEmulation\PolicyList
- Enabled by the System Administrator, using the Microsoft Windows Group Policy Editor.
(This Warning might also appear as: Internet Explorer is using Compatibility View which may cause degraded user experience. Try removing Midtier URLs from the browser's Compatibility View Settings, or contact your administrator (ARWARN 9429) )
The Admin will have to find out the mechanism with which Compatibility View has been enabled and respond appropriately. This is not an error but a warning, so end-users can continue using the product while the Admin finds the best way to disable Compatibility View for mid tier. This is not a critical problem.
Compatibility View forces Internet Explorer to emulate an older, unsupported version of the browser (IE7), so that sites designed for the older version render correctly. However, such a browser configuration is not necessary for web-applications like BMC Remedy Mid Tier 8.1 and later.
The degraded experience might not always be evident, but sometimes may show up as:
- Script errors
- UI distortion
- Client-side performance issues
Yes. The admins can choose to add arsystem.display_IE_compatibility_view_alert=false to <MidtierInstallDirectory>/WEB-INF/classes/config.properties to turn off the alerts temporarily. However the longer this alert is suppressed, the higher the risk of client-side problems for the end-users. It might be necessary to apply the latest cumulative hotfix for mid tier before this property is usable.
Microsoft recommends that admins identify the applications that require Compatibility View, and add the individual URLs http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/compatibility-view
To achieve this, the Group Policy Editor is also expected to be usable http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn321457.aspx
The end users could run into client-related problems that require assistance from BMC Customer Support. BMC Customer Support may request Admins to disable Compatibility View for affected users. Rather than having to find solutions at this point, the admins are advised to proactively disable Compatibility View when end-users see the Warning.
For information about locating content in the online documentation, see Locating white papers, guides, and technical bulletins.
Additional resources from BMC
The following BMC sites provide information outside of the BMC Remedy AR System 9.0 documentation that you might find helpful:
- BMC Communities, BMC Remedy AR System community
- Search the BMC Support Knowledge Base filtered by BMC Remedy AR System
- BMC Educational Services, BMC Remedy AR System learning path
- BMC Global Services, BMC Remedy AR System offerings
- www.bmc.com information about BMC Remedy AR System
- Common Glossary with terms for BMC Enterprise Service Management products, suites, and solutions
- Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0
- Documentation for BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0 Deployment
The following site, which is not created or endorsed by BMC, also provides information that you might find helpful:
- The Action Request System discussion list, ARSLIST