Exporting and deleting archive data
You can manage your production system efficiently by periodically extracting archive data (for example, archive data which is more than 5 years old). Using this feature, you can efficiently manage the production system and optimally utilize the available infrastructure and resources. You can reduce the database size by periodically extracting archived data.
After the data is archived, you can remove a specific range of archive data permanently from your system. Exporting and deleting of old archive data is to be carried out to align with your data retention and records management life cycle policies.
Do not perform the export operation during peak hours or while doing upgrades. After you start the export operation, you cannot cancel it.
Archive data management operations
You can perform any one of the following archive operations:
- Export and Delete — exports and deletes data in the archive forms
- Export — only exports the data in the archive forms
- Delete — only deletes data in the archive forms
To export and delete archive data
- Log on to the mid tier.
- Access the AR System Archived Data Management form by typing the URL in the given format:
- In the Archived Data Management dialog box, click New request.
- From the Operation drop-down, select Export and Delete.
- In the Age in Days field, enter the age of the archive.
- Ensure that the CSV export format is selected.
- Click Save.
- Click New search to search for the record that you was exported.
- Enter the age of the archive as the search criteria.
- Click Search.
- The Status field displays the status of the operation.
- Upon completion of the operation, the Result field displays the result of this operation, which is a directory containing the exported archive having the <AGGAA5V0HGXU0ANJECBEAAAFI4HFYR> format. If the operation failed, the Result field displays an error message with information about why it failed. You can see detailed error logs in the arextension.log file located in the <ARInstallationDirectory>/ARServer/Db directory.
Result of the archive Export and Delete operation
- You can export/delete all the archived forms present in the system. For each exported archive form, a new CSV file is created in a directory located under the <ARInstallationDirectory>/ARServer/Db directory.
- Errors, if any, are logged in the arextension.log file located in the <ARInstallationDirectory>/ARServer/Db directory.
- Exporting and deleting archive data is an asynchronous operation. When you create an entry in the system form, AR System Archived Data Management, workflow defined on this form runs in the background.
- In a server group environment, the export and delete operation runs on the server on which the entry was created. However, if the mid tier is connected to a load balancer, then create entry operation could be sent to any of the servers in the group that are behind the load balancer. If you need the export and delete operation to run on a specific server in the group, then you must specify the server before you create entry into AR System Archived Data Management form.
- You can also perform a export and delete operation from the Archiving console, which provides a more wizard-like experience. For information about using the Archiving console, see Managing the archiving process.
Only CSV format is supported for exporting.