Defining search results
Use the Results List Fields panel on a form's Definitions tab to customize which fields appear in the results pane when a user performs a search operation in a web browser. If you do not define a results list for a form, the default is to display the contents of the Short Description field only. If you add any other field to the results list, the Short Description field is no longer automatically included and is not part of the results list unless you add it.
If you include an attachment field, the results list displays the attachment file name.
You cannot include character fields that are greater than 255 characters in the Results List Field.
In addition to the Results List, this configuration controls the appearance of the selection list that can be displayed when the match criteria of a Set Fields active link action matches multiple requests. The width is used in a web browser.
The settings in the Results List Fields panel specify the default set of fields returned for API programs that do not override the fields returned.
To define fields returned in a search
- Open the form with which you want to work.
- Select the Definitions tab.
- Expand the Other Definitions panel and then the Results List Fields panel.
Result List Fields
(Click the image to expand it.)
- To add fields to the table, click Add and complete the Field Selector dialog box for each field.
- Only fields of the following types appear in the Field Selector dialog box: character, date/time, date, time, currency, integer, real, decimal, drop-down list, radio-button, check box, and attachment.
If you purchased the full text search option, you can select the WEIGHT field to display the weighted value of retrieved requests when you perform a search in a browser. For information about full text search, see Enabling and disabling full text search.
For example, if you set a width of 20, approximately the first 20 characters of the field value appear initially in the list. In the Width column for each field, enter a number (1-128) to set its initial width in the results list.
- To remove fields or to change the order of the fields, select a field, and click the Remove, Up, and Down buttons.
- Save the form.
To set the color of requests that appear in the results list, see Setting form view properties.