Customizing applications using overlays and custom objects
In its default Best Practice Customization mode, BMC Remedy Developer Studio provides the flexibility required to customize BMC Remedy AR System by using overlays and custom objects. With overlays, you can customize out-of-the-box BMC Remedy AR System server objects. Overlays ensure that the customizations are not lost when a BMC Remedy AR System application or server is upgraded. Overlays and custom objects protect any new functionality in your BMC Remedy AR System enabled application.
An overlay is a copy of a BMC Remedy AR System server structure or workflow object that is used in place of the origin object. Custom objects are new objects, such as forms or fields, that you can create in the Best Practice Customization mode.
Customizations made to the base objects in Developer Studio base development mode are not preserved through upgrades.
The customization feature protects your business investment in customizations by:
- Protecting your customizations by enforcing best practice development in Developer Studio
- Preserving customizations during upgrades of AR System servers, components, and applications
- Enabling you to find all your customizations quickly and easily
See the following video (4:26) for an overview about origin, custom, and overlay objects.
Watch the following video to understand following video (4:26) for an overview about origin, custom, and overlay objects.
This section includes the following topics:
- About origin objects and custom objects
- About overlays
- Creating custom objects
- Creating overlays to customize objects
- Working with overlays and custom objects
- Hiding unmodified objects in Best Practice Customization mode
- Converting custom objects to origin objects
- Converting origin objects to custom objects
- About export and import operations on overlays and custom objects
- About auditing and archiving overlays and custom objects
- Comparing and reconciling objects using objects list