Backing up destination server
Backup options enable you to back up the destination server before a migration occurs. As a safeguard, BMC Remedy Migrator copies the objects to be changed on the destination server to a backup directory before migration by default. (Only destination servers are backed up.)
You can view backup files from a server or file window by selecting Backup Files in the left pane and viewing the files in the right pane.
BMC Remedy Migrator does not back up data for restored fields. Also, BMC Remedy Migrator does not support backups of BMC Remedy Flashboards or plug-ins to definition (.def ) files. These objects can be backed up using .migrator files.
To select Backup options
- Select Tools > Options.
The BMC Remedy Migrator Options dialog box appears.
- Under Category, select Migration > Backup.
- In the Backup the following objects area, select a backup option:
- Back up all objects (default) — all objects are backed up.
- Back up specified objects — A list of objects appears. The default selection is Yes for each object. If you do not want to back up an object, click the object name and select No from the drop-down list for that object.
- Disable all — BMC Remedy Migrator does not perform any backups.
- In the Backup Root Directory section, select a location to store your backup files, or accept the default BMC Remedy Migrator backup directory shown.
By using the BMC Remedy Migrator backup directory, you can access backup files conveniently by clicking Backup Files in the left pane of the server window.
- In the Backup File Type region, select the type of file you want your objects backed up as.
Select a file format:
Make sure you have enough space on your computer for the backup files.
- Migrator (*.migrator ) — default setting
- Definition (*.def )
- Both Migrator files and definition (*.migrator and *.def )
- Click OK.