Review the following tips before upgrading BMC Remedy AR System.
- You can upgrade from version 6.3.00 and later versions only.
To upgrade from a version earlier than 6.3.00, upgrade to 6.3.00 by using the 6.3.00 installer first, then run the current installer.
If you are upgrading from 6.3.00 or 7.0.01, you must upgrade to 7.1.00 first and then upgrade to 8.1.00.
- Before upgrading, back up the existing installation (including the database) in case you need to restore the original installation.
- If you are using the accelerated staging server method, select the fresh installation option. See, Accelerated staging server setup for upgrades with overlays.
- When you select the Upgrade option, the BMC Remedy AR System server upgrades all the components listed against BMC Remedy AR System server in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite components and installers topic. Make sure that you backup any customizations that you have made to these components before you select the Upgrade option, else you will loose the customizations.
- Before you upgrade the BMC Remedy AR System server, make sure you have a valid AR Server license, that is, the BMC Remedy AR System server must be licensed. For a staging server, get a new license for the staging servers host ID and apply that before backing up the database.
- If you are upgrading from a version earlier than 7.1.00, export the licenses from your existing BMC Remedy AR System server before you begin the upgrade process. (If you import the licenses from a different computer, you might need to provide the BMC Remedy AR System server host ID to obtain the license key.)
- When upgrading from a version earlier than 7.5.00, you must provide the same installation directory that was used in the installation, for example:
- If you installed BMC Remedy AR System 7.1.00 in /usr/ar, enter /usr/ar during the upgrade process.
- If you installed BMC Remedy AR System 7.1.00 in /usr/ar/<hostName>, enter /usr/ar/<hostName> during the upgrade process.
- (For 64-bit BMC Remedy AR System server on 64-bit operating system) Before upgrading a 32-bit BMC Remedy AR System server to a 64-bit server, make sure that you install a 64-bit database client on the same computer where you are upgrading the BMC Remedy AR System server.
- If you are upgrading from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version of BMC Remedy AR System, you have a 32-bit version of BMC Atrium CMBD Suite. You must also upgrade the BMC Atrium CMDB Suite to the version that is x64 compatible. (On all platforms except Microsoft Windows, the first 64-bit version was 7.5.00, and there are no 32-bit versions as of that release. For Windows, the first 64-bit version was 7.6.x, and there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of that and subsequent releases.)
- While upgrading the BMC Remedy AR System server, you might receive ARERR 9130. If you do, you can ignore it. This error occurs when Java 1.5 or 1.6 is used in both the old and new versions of the server. When you restart the BMC Remedy AR System server after the upgrade is complete, this error message will not reappear.
- To add a 7.5.00 or later BMC Remedy AR System server to an environment in which a 7.1.00 or earlier BMC Remedy AR System server is already installed, you must first change the value of the Multiple-ARSystem-Servers option in the 7.1.00 or earlier server's configuration file from F to T. Otherwise, the 7.5.00 or later server installation will fail. (In UNIX, the configuration file is ar.conf. In Windows, it is ar.cfg.)