Starting the workflow debugger and a debug client
To use the workflow debugger, you log on with a client, and run the workflow that you want to debug. In another window (a command window), you run the debugger and issue commands to control the progress of the workflow and examine the results from the server at each step that you want to observe. The client that is running the workflow pauses when the debugger issues a break point or is otherwise waiting for input.
To log on to the debug queue and start the workflow debugger
- Configure the client to log on using the debug queue by entering the RPC Program Number of the debug queue in the Accounts dialog box.
For information about creating a private debug queue, see Configuring the server for debugging workflow.
- Open a command window and change to the directory where the wfd.exe is located. By default, this is the directory where the BMC Remedy AR System server is installed.
- Start the workflow debugger, using a command like the following:
wfd.exe -u <userName> -p <password> -s <serverName> -S <debugQueueRPCnumber>
The debug user must have administrator level permission and a fixed license. Replace <userName>, <password>, <serverName>, and <debugQueueRPCnumber> with the appropriate values for the user, password, the BMC Remedy AR System server, and the debug queue RPC number. The debug user does not have to be an administrator, but should have permission to access and run the workflow to be tested.
Alternatively, as with the driver utility, you can omit the command line options described in this step, and instead use workflow debugger commands after starting the tool to initiate the connection with the server.
When you start the debugger with this command, the debugger responds with the following output (the following figure):
- It confirms the user, server, and port.
- It shows the results of the ARInitialization and ARSetServerPort calls.
- It prints the on-screen help (the columns titled Execution, Local BkPts, Data, Misc., and Remote BkPts).
- It presents the Command: prompt, where you enter workflow debugger commands.
Debugger initialization output
Command Line Debugger for AR System Filter Workflow Setting user:Demo Setting server:TestServer Setting port #:390666 ARInitialization results ReturnCode: OK Status List : 0 items ARSetServerPort results ReturnCode: OK Status List : 0 items Execution Local BkPts Data Misc. ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- step (s) brk pt (bp) get FVL (gf) init (init) run to bp (g) clr bk (bc) set FVL (sf) term (term) run to rbp(r) list bkp (bl) get qual (gq) log (log) clr list (bx) set qual (sq) quit (q|x|e) run escl (re) location (cl) help h|i|?) term API (ta) Remote BkPts stack fr (st) set port(ssp) finish (fi) ------------- list stk (li) get mode (gm) brk pt (rbp) get keywd(kw) set mode (sm) clr bk (rbc) user ctx (uc) mode all(sma) list bkp(rbl) mode clr(smc) clr list(rbx) restart (rst) Command: