Setting up a remote database for view forms
If the database table is in a remote database, you must perform the required database configuration steps described in this section and use the correct table name syntax to access the remote table. For databases that require you to create a database link or proxy database, refer to your database documentation and work with the database administrator to configure access to the remote database table.
- DB2 — Remote view forms are not supported for DB2.
- Oracle — Set up a link between the AR System database and the Oracle database. Create a view in the database user's schema which accesses this link (the user is ARADMIN by default).
CREATE VIEW view_name AS (SELECT * FROM ownername.tablename@link)
Create the View Form on the view created above.
To enable the support of multiple remote Oracle databases with different character sets, you must add the Oracle-Dblink-Character-Set parameter to your ar.cfg (ar.conf ) file. For more information, see the Configuring after installation section.
- Microsoft SQL Server — Complete the following tasks:
- Create a link to the remote database and either give the user ARAdmin an account on the remote database or use the proper login credentials.
- Turn on the Distributed Transaction Coordinator for both the local and the remote databases.
- Specify the following server configuration setting in the ar.conf (ar.cfg ) file:
This setting enables the DB-Library connection that AR System uses to use ANSI-NULLs and ANSI warnings. There should be no impact on the performance of the database. For more information about the ar.conf (ar.cfg ) file, see the Configuring after installation section.
The format for the table name is:
- Sybase — Create a proxy database. This is a Sybase database type that copies all the metadata about a remote database to the local database but still allows queries to be redirected to the remote database. For information about how to create a proxy database, see the Sybase documentation.
The format to access the database table is: