Preparing your components and applications for an upgrade
The BMC Remedy AR System suite installer prompts you to enter information about the BMC Remedy AR System database, which the installer creates during the upgrade. This database contains the BMC Remedy AR System server forms and field definitions, and also stores workflow data, structures, and permissions.
If you are upgrading both BMC Remedy IT Service Management and BMC Service Management, BMC recommends that you upgrade BMC Remedy IT Service Management first so that the foundation components are upgraded only once.
- Back up your database and file system before you upgrade.
When you are upgrading, back up your data, object definitions, and applications.
- Review the pre-installation considerations specific to UNIX and Microsoft Windows (for example, setting environmental variables).
- Make sure that the server can be resolved to a server alias. If you are installing more than one server on a computer, make sure that each server has a unique server alias.
- Determine the ports that you will use.
- Check if you have installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (64-bit).
If Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (64-bit) is not installed, the installer checks for this version. If this version is not present, the installer installs the required version.
- Verify that a previous version of the BMC Remedy AR System server is on the machine.
- Review the following pre-upgrade procedures:
- Upgrading tips
- Preparing to upgrade the Approval Server
- Preparing to upgrade FTS from a version earlier than 7.6.03
- Making sure you have enough transactional log space for an upgrade