Patch 2 for Service Pack 2: 8.1.02.002
This topic contains information about updates and fixes in this patch, and provides instructions for downloading and installing the patch.
For information about issues corrected in this patch, see Known and corrected issues.
- You can install this patch on 64-bit computers, not 32-bit.
- You must have installed BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System 8.1 Service Pack 2 before running the patch installer.
- When the AR System patch is being applied, the patch installer restarts the AR System server as part of the installation process.
- The patch installer does not use Install Anywhere Framework and is not affected by the
IATEMPDIRsystem variable. If the default %TEMP% directory has insufficient space, increase the available space or change its location.
- Ensure that all of the AR System objects, such as forms and workflows, have been released before you apply the patch.
- After you apply the patch to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, flush the mid-tier cache and delete the content from the following folders:
- For a list of AR System files that are updated by Patch 2, download and unzip ARSystem8102PatchFileList.zip.
- This patch is not available for hpux-itanium platform.
Reviewing the patches currently installed on your computer
To review all the current patches installed on your computer, perform the following steps:
- Open the Maintenance Tool (installed under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arsystem).
- Click Browse to Log.
Scroll through the Navigation pane to find the <Product>InstalledConfiguration.xml file for the product patch that you installed; for example:
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceRequestManagement\BMCServiceRequestManagementInstalledConfiguration.xml
- Double-click the file to open it in the Maintenance Tool.
- Click the Product Feature Map tab.
- Under Updates, review the patches installed on your computer.
(Click the image to expand it.)
Installing the patch and reviewing the result
The patch installer determines which modules are already installed on the target computer and then applies the patches only to those modules. For example, if you run the AR System patch installer on a computer that is running only the AR System server, then only the fixes relevant to the AR System server are applied.
In a single tenant environment:
- You need to implement multi-tenancy hotfix.
- Click Next to continue.
If you install the patch by using the SSI installer, ensure that you add the following code to the ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml before you begin the patch installation:
<productFeature backupOnUpgrade="false" id="featureDeveloperStudio" independentOfChildren="true" parent="featureARSystemClients" rebootRequiredOnInstall="false" rebootRequiredOnUninstall="false" rebootRequiredOnUpgrade="false" requiredDiskSpaceMode="default" requiredRAMMode="default" state="INSTALLED" visible="true"> <version majorVersion="1" minorVersion="02" releaseVersion="8"/> <requiredDiskSpaceMap> <requiredDiskSpace id="default" size="123 MB"/> <requiredDiskSpace id="backup" size="0 bytes"/> <requiredDiskSpace id="temporary" size="0 bytes"/> </requiredDiskSpaceMap> <requiredRAMMap> <requiredRAM id="default" size="512 MB"/> </requiredRAMMap> </productFeature>
To install the patch and review the result
You must disable escalations before you install the patch.
If you are installing the patch on a server group, you must disable escalations only when installing the patch on the administrator server.
Download the patch installer from the BMC Electronic Product Download site, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD. For more information, see Downloading the installation files.
Unzip the suite installer.
Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Start the installer:
For Windows, run setup.cmd.
For UNIX, log on as root and run setup.sh.
In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
On the Patch contents panel, review what is included in the patch, and then click Next.
On the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, review the AR System server values, and then click Next.
On AIX operating systems, you must manually provide the value for the AR System server TCP port.
On the Installation Preview panel, review the list of patch fixes that you are installing, and then click Install.
When the patch installation is finished and the Installation Summary panel appears, click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
Determine whether the errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
The installation log is located in the %TEMP% folder of your computer; for example:
Close the log when you finish.
Click Done to exit the patch installer.
Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Ensure that you re-enable escalations after you finish installing the patch.
To install the patch on a server group
To install the patch on a server group, perform the following steps:
- Shut down all of the non administrator servers in the server group.
- If you have configured a load balancer, disable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- Remove the administrator server from the server group.
- Disable escalations by following the instructions in Disabling escalations.
- Install the patch on the administrator server by following the instructions in Installing the patch and reviewing the result.
- Enable escalations.
- Add the administrator server back to the server group.
- Restart the administrator server.
- If you have configured the load balancer, enable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- On each of the non administrator servers, perform the following steps:
- Start the BMC Remedy AR System service.
- Install the patch by following the instructions in Installing the patch and reviewing the result.
- Enable the server on the load balancer.
- Open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console.
- Open Server Information.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Select Disable Escalations.
- Click OK.
Performing a silent installation
Use the Maintenance Tool to create an encrypted password.
Create a text file called Options.txt and add the following options that correspond to user input:
-J BMC_AR_USER=<AR System Admin User> -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=<AR System User Password> -J BMC_AR_PORT=<AR System TCP Port> -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=<Server Alias>
-J BMC_AR_USER=Demo -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=DES\:51208e44b3bc2f3808839e457d4e2050 -J BMC_AR_PORT=0 -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=vw-sjc-aus-idd04
Open a command window and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Run the installer with the
setup.cmd -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>\Options.txt
setup.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>/Options.txt
You must use an absolute path to the Options.txt file.
- Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Reconciling your customizations
For information about reconciling your customization, see Comparing objects after you upgraded with overlays already present. Ensure that you perform the mandatory step of reconciling after an upgrade with overlays already present.
If you use the object modification log, see Object modification log for information about obtaining a list of modified objects after you apply the hotfixes. Alternatively, if objects are modified by the patch, a Bill of Materials file (BillofMaterials.txt) will be available to identify the affected objects.