Patch 1 for Service Pack 1: 8.1.01.001
This topic contains information about fixes and updates in this patch, and provides instructions for downloading and installing the patch.
- You can install this patch on 64-bit computers, not 32-bit.
- You must have installed BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System 8.1 Service Pack 1 before running patch installer.
- When the AR System patch is being applied, the patch installer restarts the AR System server as part of the installation process.
- The patch installer does not use Install Anywhere Framework and is not affected by the
IATEMPDIRsystem variable. If the default %TEMP% directory has insufficient space, increase the available space or change its location.
- Ensure that all the AR System objects, such as forms and workflows, have been released before you apply patch.
- After you apply the patch to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, flush the mid-tier cache and delete the content from the following folders:
- The patch contains only BMC Remedy Mid Tier fixes.
Reviewing the patches currently installed on your computer
To review all the current patches installed on your computer, perform the following steps:
- Open the Maintenance Tool (installed under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arsystem).
- Click Browse to Log.
Scroll through the Navigation pane to find the <Product>InstalledConfiguration.xml file for the product patch that you installed. For example:
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceRequestManagement\BMCServiceRequestManagementInstalledConfiguration.xml
- Double-click the file to open it in the Maintenance Tool.
- Click the Product Feature Map tab.
- Under Updates, review the patches installed on your computer (for example, Patch 001).
(Click the image to expand it.)
Installing the patch and reviewing the result
The patch installer determines which modules are already installed on the target computer and then applies the patches only to those modules. For example, if you run the AR System patch installer on a computer that is running only the AR System server, then only the fixes relevant to the AR System server are applied.
If you install the patch using the SSI installer, ensure to add the following in the ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml before you begin the patch installation.
<productFeature backupOnUpgrade="false" id="featureDeveloperStudio" independentOfChildren="true" parent="featureARSystemClients" rebootRequiredOnInstall="false" rebootRequiredOnUninstall="false" rebootRequiredOnUpgrade="false" requiredDiskSpaceMode="default" requiredRAMMode="default" state="INSTALLED" visible="true"> <version majorVersion="1" minorVersion="01" releaseVersion="8"/> <requiredDiskSpaceMap> <requiredDiskSpace id="default" size="123 MB"/> <requiredDiskSpace id="backup" size="0 bytes"/> <requiredDiskSpace id="temporary" size="0 bytes"/> </requiredDiskSpaceMap> <requiredRAMMap> <requiredRAM id="default" size="512 MB"/> </requiredRAMMap> </productFeature>
To install the patch and review the result
You must disable the escalations before you install the patch.The instructions to disable the escalations are provided in Disabling escalations.
If you are installing the patch on a server group, you must disable escalations only while installing the patch on the administrator server.
Download the patch installer from the BMC Electronic Product Download site, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
Unzip the suite installer.
Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Start the installer:
For Windows, run setup.cmd.
For UNIX, log on as root and run setup.sh.
In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
On the Patch contents panel, review what is included in the patch, and then click Next.
On the Installation Preview panel, review the list of patch fixes that you are installing, and then click Install.
When the patch installation is finished and the Installation Summary panel appears, click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
The installation log is located in the %TEMP% folder of your computer. For example:
Close the log when you finish.
Click Done to exit the patch installer.
Ignore the AR System server version Patch id = 001 in the ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml file, after you finish installing the patch.
Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Ensure that you re-enable escalations after you finish installing the patch.
To install the patch on a server group
To install the patch on a server group, perform the following steps:
- Shut down all of the non-administrator servers in the server group.
- If you have configured a load balancer, disable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- Remove the administrative server from the server group.
Disable escalations, by following the instructions that are provided in Disabling escalations.
If you retain the administrative server in the server group and try to disable the escalations, the server generates the following error:
This configuration setting is not allowed when the server is a member of a server group : 143 (ARERR 3324)
Since the server is a primary server and it owns the escalation operations, ensure that you remove the server from the server group and then disable the escalations.
Install the patch on the administrator server by following the instructions that are provided in the Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable escalations.
Add the administrator server back to the server group.
- Restart the administrator server.
- If you have configured the load balancer, enable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- On each of the non-administrator servers, perform the following steps:
- Start the BMC Remedy AR System service.
- Install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the server on the load balancer.
To disable escalations, perform the following steps:
- Open the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console.
- Open Server Information.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Select Disable Escalations.
(Click the image to expand it.)
- Click OK.
Performing a silent installation
Use the Maintenance Tool to create an encrypted password.
Create a text file called Options.txt and add the following options that correspond to user inputs.
-J BMC_AR_USER=<AR System Admin User> -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=<AR System User Password> -J BMC_AR_PORT=<AR System TCP Port> -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=<Server Alias>
-J BMC_AR_USER=Demo -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=DES\:51208e44b3bc2f3808839e457d4e2050 -J BMC_AR_PORT=0 -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=vw-sjc-aus-idd04
Open a command window and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Run the installer with the
setup.cmd -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>\Options.txt
setup.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>/Options.txt
You must use an absolute path to the Options.txt file.
- Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Reconciling your customizations
For information on reconciling your customization, see Comparing objects after you upgraded with overlays already present. Make sure to perform the mandatory step of reconciling after an upgrade with overlays already present.
If you use the object modification log, see Object modification log for information about obtaining a list of modified objects after you apply the hotfixes. Alternatively, if there are objects modified by the patch, a Bill of Materials file (BillofMaterials.txt) will be available to identify the affected objects.