Modifying an out-of-the-box Web report with the BIRT Report Designer
This section explains how you can export the .rptdesign file of a Web report from the Report form, modify the report in the BIRT Report Designer, and then import the modified .rptdesign file back to the AR System server using the Report form.
Before modifying an out-of-the-box Web report with BIRT, BMC recommends saving a copy of the report definition file (.rptdesign file) and its corresponding record in the Report form.
To make sure that future upgrades do not overwrite your modified Web report, set Status to Pending or Inactive.
You can also import your original exported Web report (.rptdesign file) to a different AR System server. See Importing a Web report to a different AR System server.
To export a .rptdesign file from the Report form to the BIRT Report Designer
- To open the Report form, type the following URL into your browser:
- Search for an out-of-the-box Web report that you want to edit, and select the report from the search results.
- In the Instance ID field, copy the Instance ID value of the report you want to edit.
Copying the Instance ID in the Report form
(Click the image to expand it.)
- Open the Report Definition form, paste the Instance ID you copied in the previous step from the Report form into the Report Definition GUID field, and then click Search.
- In the search result, right-click the attached .rptdesign file, and then click Save.
- Save the .rptdesign file to a folder where you store reports.
To modify an imported report in the BIRT Report Designer
- In the BIRT report tool, choose File > Open File, and open the .rptdesign file you exported from the Report form.
- Edit the report using the BIRT Report Designer, and then save the edited file.
For details about modifying reports with the BIRT Report Designer, such as adding a row or column, see the BIRT Report Designer help.
Modifying reports with BIRT Report Designer is discussed further in Examples for modifying reports with the BIRT Report Designer.
To import the .rptdesign file from the BIRT Report Designer to the Report form
- In the Report Console, open the Report form, and search for a Web report.
- In the Report Definition File area, right-click the .rptdesign file, and click Add.
- In the Confirm Save Request dialog box, click Yes.
- In the Add Attachment dialog box, click Choose File, then browse and select the .rptdesign file you edited in the BIRT Report Designer, and click OK.
To modify an out-of-the-box ITSM application report
- Follow the same procedure as To modify an imported report in the BIRT Report Designer, with the following exceptions:
- When you search for an out-of-the-box report in the Report form, select the Print Incident report.
- In the BIRT Report Designer, open the Print Incident report.
- Right-click the data set, choose Edit > Query > Add, and select Work Detail in the Available Fields dialog box.
- Import the report back into an AR System server.