Integrating Crystal Reports with BMC Remedy AR System
The following procedure describes how to get started designing reports. See your Crystal Reports documentation for complete instructions about using the design wizard to create reports.
Before you start creating reports based on BMC Remedy AR System forms, make sure that you follow the SQL standard for naming objects such as forms. For example, start the form name with an alphabetic or underscore character. You should especially avoid using a number (such as 2) for the name of a form. Otherwise you might see an error message, such as ODBC error: Unexpected extra token: formName.
This section contains information about:
- Using field labels or database names in Crystal Reports
- Verifying fields defined in a Crystal Report
- Changing the AR System ODBC configuration
- Selecting report fields in Crystal Reports
- Generating tables from multiple tables
- Crystal Reports considerations
To create a report by logging on to BMC Remedy AR System from Crystal Reports
- Open Crystal Reports and create a report.
- In the Crystal Reports Gallery, select a wizard such as Standard.
- In the Available Data Sources, select ODBC (RDO).
- When the ODBC (RDO) dialog box appears, select the Data Source to log in to.
For example, select AR System ODBC Data Source as the default data source.
The AR System ODBC Setup dialog box appears.
AR System ODBC Setup dialog box
- Enter the user's password.
- To designate reverse calendar order, select the Descending Diary Fields check box.
- Select the Use Underscores check box.
- Specify whether to use field labels or database names to represent AR System fields.
- Select the Use Labels check box to use field labels.
- Clear the Use Labels check box to use database names.
See Using field labels or database names in Crystal Reports.
Field labels are based on the locale specified in the Report Locale field.
- Click OK to log in.
The AR System forms appear in the Standard Report Creation Wizard as data sources.
Selecting data sources in Standard Report Creation Wizard
- Select the form to include in your report, and click Next.
- Click Next.
The wizard lists all fields in the underlying form.
Selecting fields in wizard
When you select report fields, some fields might not be listed that are in your form. This occurs when the field's database name is different from its display label. For example, a field called Last Name in your form is not shown in the Database Fields list box in Crystal Reports (the Database Fields list box appears in the following figure). Instead, the field name Surname might appear. Each field in a form is identified by a unique database name, not by the display label that appears in the form.
The content of the list of fields depends on whether you selected Use Labels in the AR System ODBC Setup or AR System ODBC Login dialog box. See Using field labels or database names in Crystal Reports.
To identify a field's database name, open the form in Developer Studio, and open the Field Properties dialog box for the field. The Name field of the Database tab in the Field Properties dialog box shows the field's database name.
- Optionally, select the fields to display in the report, and click Next.
The wizard now lets you specify how to group the information to display on your report.
- Optionally, group the information, and click Next.
The wizard now lets you specify a subsection of the information to display on your report.
- Optionally, select a subsection of information, and click Next.
The wizard now lets you specify a report template. To preview your report, click an available template.
- Select a template, and click Finish.
For more information about designing reports, see your Crystal Reports documentation.