FTS Configuration form in the AR System Administration Console
Starting from BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 Service Pack 1, the following new terms are used for FTS plug-ins:
- FTS Writer is called FTS Indexer
- FTS Reader is called FTS Searcher
You can use the AR System Administration FTS Configuration form to configure Full Text Search (FTS). You can access this form from the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console.
You must configure FTS manually using the AR System Administration FTS Configuration form in the following scenarios:
- If you select the Install option to install FTS version 8.1.00
If you select the Upgrade option to upgrade an existing version of FTS to version 8.1.00.
AR System Administration FTS Configuration form
AR System Administration FTS Configuration form fields
Use the FTS Agent check box to enable or disable the FTS plug-in processes in the armonitor.cfg/conf file.
If you select this check box, the FTS plug-in processes are automatically uncommented in the armonitor file. If you clear this check box and save the changes, the FTS processes are automatically commented in the armonitor file.
If you are using FTS in a server group, the Primary and Secondary FTS plug-in processes are commented/uncommented based on your selection.
Using the FTS Agent check box does not require manual intervention to uncomment the FTS plug-in processes in the armonitor file.
You must restart the AR System server for the changes to take effect.
Select any one of the options and perform the following:
A server is considered to be an indexing server if you select either the Single Server or Server Group - Primary option on the FTS Configuration form. Only the server acting as an indexing server should have the ranking in the AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form. Ranking the indexing server is essential because the other non-indexing server can determine where to failover if the configured FTS indexing server is not available.
For more information, see Configuring full text search for a server group.
Enter the FTS port for primary server. The port range is 9988 - 9998.
Max JVM Memory1
Enter the JVM heap size (in megabytes) for primary server.
Indexer Server Name (for version 8.1 Service Pack 1 and 8.1 Service Pack 2)
Primary Server Name (for version 8.1)
Enter the name of the primary server or Indexer server.
Enter the FTS port for secondary server. The port range is 9977 - 9982.
Max JVM Memory2
Enter the JVM heap size (in megabytes) for secondary server.
FTS Collection Directory
Enter the full path of the FTS Collection directory.
FTS Configuration Directory
Enter the full path of the FTS Configuration directory.
- You must log on to each server and perform FTS configuration on each server using the FTS Configuration form.
- You must restart the AR System server for the changes made to this form to take effect.
- Ensure that the Collection and Configuration directories are available on a local drive of each indexing server.
- Log on to each server and ensure that the paths of the Collection and Configuration directories are identical on all the servers in the server group. For example, if the indexing servers in a server group are running on Windows and the paths of these directories are C:\data1\BMCData\BMCARSystem\FTS\Collection and C:\data1\BMCData\BMCARSystem\FTS\Configuration respectively, ensure that all reader servers have the same path set in their ar.cfg conf file with respect to the location of the Collection directory on the indexing servers. The fail-over fails if the directory paths are different. All indexing servers and reader servers in a server group refer to this path in the ar.cfg conf file. The indexing servers also refer to this path for the FTS plug-ins in the pluginsvr_conf.xml file.
Applicable for Service Pack 1