Establishing a mandatory preference server
As a BMC Remedy AR System administrator, you can designate a mandatory preference server that stores the system preference information. This configurable server setting provides a mechanism to enforce the use of centralized preferences across an organization.
To enable a mandatory preference server
- In a browser, open the AR System Administration Console, and click System > General > Server Information.
The AR System Administration: Server Information form appears.
- Click the Advanced tab.
Server Information — Advanced tab
(Click the image to expand it.)
- Select the appropriate Preference Server Option:
- User Defined — Enables the user to determine whether to use a preference server.
- Use This Server — Designates the current server as the preference server. (The preference forms must be available.)
- Use Other Server — Designates the current server as a non-preference server and indicates another server on the system is set with Use This Server.
For more information about the effects of these choices, see Behaviors associated with preference server configuration.
If Use This Server or Use Other Server is selected, the local preferences are disabled. The system tries to connect to the designated preference server. If no preference server is found, the default preference values are used instead of the local ar.ini file.
- Click OK.