Configuring BMC Remedy Email Engine for modify actions
Modifications are executed by sending a modify instruction or modify action to BMC Remedy Email Engine. Typically, you want only trusted users making changes to records, especially if they are using email as a client to the AR System server. For security reasons, incoming email with modify instructions do not work by default; you must configure the incoming mailbox to accept modify actions.
You must make sure that:
- The same mailbox name is not being used at two places. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org is being referred to from two different AR System servers.
- Two Email Engines are not pointing to same AR System Server.
To configure the Email Engine for modify actions
- In a browser, open the AR System Email Mailbox Configuration form in Search mode.
- Search for and open the records for your incoming and outgoing mailboxes.
- Make sure that you have an incoming mailbox and an outgoing mailbox associated with each other.
- Click the Advanced Configuration tab of the incoming mailbox to which you want the modify instruction sent.
- Set the Email Action field to Parse.
- Set the Enable Modify Actions field to Yes.
- Set the Use Security Key field according to your requirements. For more information, see the Use Security Key information in Configuring advanced incoming mailbox properties.
If the Use Security Key value is set to Yes, you must provide a security key for every user who sends modify instructions to BMC Remedy Email Engine.
- Save your changes.
- Click the Advanced Configuration tab of the outgoing mailbox from which you want the modify instruction sent.
- Set the Delete Outgoing Notification Messages field to No.
- Open the AR System Email Security form in New mode.
- Create a user record as follows:
- Set Status to Enabled.
- Create a security key.
- Make sure that the Force For Mailbox field is set to No (default).
- Select either Yes or No for the Force From Email Address.
This field enforces the email address that is associated with the key to be used. If set to Yes, the From Address of the reply sent by the user is checked against the security key entry's From Address.
- Enter other information as needed, for example, an expiration date.
A user making modifications must have a write license unless that user is the submitter or the Submitter Mode is set to Locked.
- Save your changes.