Configuring a server for alerts
To enable users to receive alerts from the server through the Alert form, you must configure your server.
The earlier Notification Server command-line configuration options are not available in BMC Remedy AR System 5.0 or later.
To configure a server to send alerts
- In a browser, open the AR System Administration Console, and click System > General > Server Information.
The AR System Administration: Server Information form appears.
- Click the Server Ports and Queues tab, and perform the following steps:
- In the Alert Outbound Port field, enter the port number that the server uses when sending alerts. If you enter 0, the server uses random port selection.
- Configure the Alert queue, and adjust the minimum and maximum threads. For more information, see Setting ports and RPC numbers.
- Click the Timeouts tab, and in the Alert Send Timeout (seconds) field, enter the number of seconds the server must wait during connection attempts before timing out.
- Click the Configuration tab, and perform the following steps:
- Select the Verify Alert Users check box to have the server verify at boot-up time that each of the users it thinks is registered is still running and listening for alert messages.
- Select the Disable Alerts check box so that the server does not send alert messages when alert events are entered into the system.
- Click OK to close the form.
- If you want the server to translate IP addresses before sending alert messages to users, edit the Map-IP-Address option in the ar.conf file, see
Map-IP-Address in ar.cfg or ar.conf options E-M.