About publishing and scheduling reports
Using the report publish option on the Report Console, a user who has view and run permissions for a web report can send the report to a specified recipient or list of recipients by using an email. For details about report permissions, see Configuring report permissions and visibility settings.
Using the report schedule option on the Report Console, an administrator can specify the time and date to run and publish a web report. The administrator can assign the Job Scheduler role to groups so that members can use the report schedule option. For more information about role-based permissions, see Role-based access overview.
The report publish and schedule options are enabled for Web reports only, not for BMC Remedy AR System reports.
For an example about modifying a qualification when scheduling a report, see Publishing reports.
Forms for publishing and scheduling reports
Administrators manage report publishing and scheduling by using the following forms:
- AR System Job — Stores the parameters of a report that a user has scheduled to be run and published at a specified interval. It also stores the parameters related to multiple reports such as, email IDs, export options. The Parameters field in the form, which also stores query and qualification data, is applicable for all the job items linked by the job ID.
- AR System Job Item — Stores a unique job ID and the parameters of the report that is scheduled to be run and published at a specified interval.
- AR System Pending Job Queue — Stores the parameters of the jobs that are ready for execution. It is an intermediary queue.
Only administrators have permission to delete scheduled reports from the Pending Job Queue form.
- AR System Publish Report — Stores the parameters for filtering and publishing report results. It stores the external qualification, in encoded format, that users enter when searching a form.
If the administrator disables unqualified search in the AR System Server Information form, then a 1=1 qualification does not work when running reports. The user receives an error when attempting to run a report for an unqualified search.
Automated workflow for scheduling and publishing reports
The following automated workflow executes the scheduling and publishing of the reports that are associated with these forms:
- Every report that is either published immediately or scheduled for publishing at a later time is associated with a unique job ID that it obtains from the Job Item form. Any report parameters that are passed from the Report Console are also stored in the Job Item form.
- The unique job ID and report parameters from the Job Item form are pushed to a Job form, along with any schedule parameters that are passed from the Report Console. The schedule parameters are used as the basis for computing the next collection time that a report is run.
- The Job form for a report is pushed to the Pending Job Queue form on an hourly basis. Based on the next collection time specified in the Job form, a report is run and published immediately, or on a recurring schedule (daily, weekly, monthly). The Job Type parameter in the Job form determines how a report will be published (such as email distribution).
- At the next collection time, the data, report parameters, and job parameters for a report are pushed from the Pending Job Queue to the Publish Report form. The report is run and the results published to the specified recipient or list of recipients. If there is an error, an error message is sent by email to the user who published the report, or a specified list of recipients.