Upgrading BMC Service Request Management with overlays
The BMC Service Request Management installer can also upgrade the product and components. The steps to perform a new installation and an upgrade are similar; however, the choices presented during a new installation are different from the choices presented during an upgrade.
The BMC Service Request Management installer enables you to deploy BMC Service Request Management features in your IT environment.
The installer guides you step-by-step through the installation process, including the configuration of dependent features. When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the applications in the BMC Service Request Management solution.
The following priorities summarize BMC's recommendations when you are installing BMC Remedy ITSM.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over the wide area network (WAN).
- Apply the SRM (BMC:SR Mgmt Application) and Financial Management (BMC:Financial Mgmt Application) licenses to the AR System server before you start installation.
- Download the BMC Service Request Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
The default location is C:\<downloadDirectory>\BMCServiceRequestManagement8.0.00.windows\Disk1.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.cmd.
- For UNIX, log in as root and run setup.sh.
When installing the application on UNIX, BMC Software recommends performing the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. If you choose to install the application as a non-root user, you must log in to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Directory Selection window, navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy AR System.
The default location is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceRequestManagement.
- Click Next.
The AR System Overlays Feature panel appears.
BMC recommends that you use AR System Overlays to preserve your BMC Service Request Management customizations.
- Click Next.
- On the BMC AR System Server User Inputs panel, verify that the login information is correct, and then click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer.
- On the Integration Applications panel, select any application that is installed on a remote computer on which you are not installing BMC Service Request Management.
- Change Management
- Incident Management
- Click Next.
- Enter the values from the planning worksheets for the features that you want to install.
The installer validates your inputs, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are nearly finished with the BMC Service Request Management installation.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Request Management installer.