Upgrading BMC Remedy ITSM with overlays
The BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) installer can also upgrade the product and components. The steps to perform a new installation and an upgrade are the similar; however, the choices presented during a new installation are different from the choices presented during an upgrade.
The BMC Remedy ITSM Suite installer enables you to deploy the following ITSM products in your IT environment.
- BMC Incident Management
- BMC Problem Management
- BMC Asset Management
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
You can find the Data Management Client Installer in the same directory as the ITSM installer.
The installer guides you step-by-step through the installation process, including the configuration of dependent features. When you start the installer, you can choose one or more applications to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the applications in the ITSM solution. For example, you might first install BMC Change Management, and then run the installer a second time to install BMC Knowledge Management.
The following priorities summarize BMC's recommendations when you are installing BMC Remedy ITSM;
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over the wide area network (WAN).
- Apply the appropriate ITSM licenses to the AR System server before you start installation.
- Install Atrium Integrator server before you start installation.
- If you are installing BMC Knowledge Management, you must license and install Full Text Search on the AR System server. The installer disables FTS indexing before the installation (if it is already enabled) and enables FTS indexing before the end of the installation.
- If you install the sample data, apply at least 20 AR User Fixed licenses for each ITSM application.
- Download the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.cmd.
- For UNIX, log in as root and run setup.sh.
When installing the application on UNIX, BMC recommends performing the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. If you choose to install the application as a non-root user, you must log on to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Directory Selection window, navigate to the directory in which you want to install the BMC Remedy AR System application.
The default location is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCRemedyITSMSuite.
- Click Next.
The installer verifies your environment and warns you if your computer does not have enough free memory.
- Click Next.
- On the BMC AR System Server User Inputs panel, verify that the login information is correct, and then click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features (such as BMC Remedy Asset Management, BMC Remedy Change Management, and so on).
- Select one or more ITSM applications to install, and then click Next.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid ITSM licenses.
- Enter the values from the planning worksheets for the applications that you want to install.
The installer validates your input, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are nearly finished with the ITSM installation.
When completing the installer panels before beginning the upgrade, No is selected by default on the BMC Remedy ITSM Attribute Migration Configuration panel. This allows you to update any affected customizations after the BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite structural upgrade portion has completed. For more information, see Rebuilding customizations before deleting BMC Remedy ITSM attributes from the BMC Atrium CMDB. When you restart the installer, it begins where you left off.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the ITSM installer.
When you install the product, certain sample data is inserted. If this data already exists on your workstation, you might receive index violation errors. These errors can occur when installing the product in any language.
You might receive an error message for either of the following reasons:
- If you have a previous version of the product installed on your machine and are upgrading to a more recent version.
- If you have installed other products previously.
If you receive an error message when you are installing the product or upgrading to a more recent version of the product, you can ignore this message because the necessary data already exists. Therefore, the product will function properly.