Troubleshooting BMC Remedy AR System performance issues
Even systems that have been highly tuned for best performance occasionally experience performance issues.
When an issue is discovered, gather as much information as you can about when and where the performance problem occurs and compare your findings to the performance goals that you have established. The following Performance tuning and troubleshooting flowchart illustrates a possible troubleshooting process.
Performance tuning and troubleshooting flowchart
(Click the image to expand it.)
The first question might be to ask whether all users are experiencing the same performance issue, or if the problem is isolated to a specific user. You should also determine if users are receiving error messages, and obtain the message number and text. Error messages can help you isolate a problem more quickly. For more information about error messages, see the Working with error messages.
You can also see your system configuration records for clues as to where the problem might originate.
- Additional questions to ask include:
- Is performance slow only when logging in to the BMC Remedy AR System server?
- Does the problem occur only when submitting an BMC Remedy AR System request or also when modifying a request or searching for data in the database?
- Is there a specific time of day when the server responds slowly or experiences this specific performance problem?
- What non-BMC Remedy AR System applications were running on the client or server when the problem occurred?
- If time-outs are occurring, what RPC number appears?
The answers to these questions will help you define your troubleshooting strategy. As you make changes to improve performance, document the adjustments you make and why so that you have a record of your progress. Try to make only one change at a time to determine what changes are effective.
If you gathered baseline performance data, when a performance problem arises, you can gather data on similar operations and compare it to the baseline data. This can help you identify what operations might be contributing to the performance problem. The Performance tuning and troubleshooting flowchart outlines the basic steps for performance tuning and troubleshooting.
Following are some issues that impact BMC Remedy AR System performance: