Stage 4 - Test and promote staging server with overlays to production
Performing the steps in stage 4 promotes your staging server to an upgraded production server.
To test and promote your staging server to production
- Test the functionality of the upgraded BMC Remedy AR System components and applications.
- Make a backup of the upgraded staging server database.
This backup is called the pre-user acceptance testing (UAT) backup.
- Conduct your UAT using your test cases.
- If an issue arises:
- Identify a solution. (BMC Support can help with this.)
- Apply any fixes to the server, and then validate the fixes.
Make a copy of the fixes for use later.
- Complete all UAT tasks and obtain sign-off.
- Revert to the pre-UAT backup.
- Apply any fixes that were required during UAT.
- Work with the database administrator responsible for the staging server to back up the database.
This backup is called the UAT-Verified-Clean backup.
- (Optional) Run an additional test to validate that fixes have been applied correctly.
- If no issues arise, use the pre-UAT backup as the UAT-Verified-Clean backup.
- After the upgrade is validated on the staging server, restore the system to the UAT-Verified-Clean backup.
This ensures that any testing data used during the validation is removed and that the staging server is in a clean state for the delta data migration.
- Promote the server to production:
- Use the Delta Data Migration tool to move data created or data that was changed after copying the production database from your production server to the staging server. This ensures that the staging server has copies of your latest data.
- Shut down the former production server and promote the staging server to be the new production server.