Scheduling scans for updates
Updates to entries for join, vendor, and view form types are not always generated in the same manner as regular forms. To ensure accuracy in full text searches, schedule scans for updates in these types of forms. When the forms are scanned, the AR System server indexes only the entries that have been added and changed.
The scans work as follows:
- For join forms, the server can detect which fields on the join form represent last-modified timestamps on base forms. Using those timestamps, the server scans for updates at the scheduled times.
- For vendor and view forms that contain a core field with field ID 6 (equivalent of a last-modified timestamp), the server scans for updates at the scheduled times.
- If the form does not contain a field with ID 6 (vendor or view forms) or any last-modified timestamps (join forms), the form cannot be scanned for updates only, and the server re-indexes all indexed fields on the form each time the form is scheduled to perform a scan.
- Deleted entries (or entries that disappear because join key fields are changed in base forms) are not detected, and the entries are represented in the index until you complete a field re-index. For more information, see Re-indexing considerations.
Use caution when scheduling scan intervals. Do not overload the system with a large number of form scans at small intervals, especially those that perform a complete reindex because of the unavailability of last modified timestamps.
If using the BMC Remedy AR System interface is the only way your organization updates the database table associated to a view form, you do not need to schedule scanning for that view form.
To schedule a scan for updates
- In BMC Remedy Developer Studio, open the form.
- Choose Form > Form Properties.
- Choose the Definitions tab.
- Click the Full Text Search link to open the Full Text Search page.
- Select the scan times for updates to fields that have been indexed for FTS.
- Click OK.
- Save the form.