Preparing your database
Before you install the BMC Remedy AR System server, prepare your database correctly, as described in the following topics:
- Preparing to install on a Unicode database
- Preparing your Microsoft SQL Server database before you install the AR System server
- Preparing your Oracle database before you install the AR System server
- Preparing your IBM DB2 database before you install the AR System server
- Preparing your Sybase database before you install the AR System server
To avoid a decline in the BMC Remedy AR System server performance, BMC recommends the following:
- Do not use a firewall between the AR System server and database tiers. This can impact performance significantly.
- When possible, set up a high-speed backbone between the AR System server and the database server.
- If using Ethernet, install the BMC Remedy AR System server and the database server on a separate switched network that is isolated from other network traffic.
- Avoid putting a wide-area network between the AR System server and the database server.
- Make sure that each network device between the AR System server and the database server is communicating at the maximum bandwidth.
- If you are planning to install CMDB or ITSM applications in addition to BMC Remedy AR System, the following minimum space is required:
- 2 GB for the data file
- 1 GB for log and temp files
When installing more than one ITSM application, add 2 GB to the data file and 100 MB to the log file size for each additional application.For information about database recommendations for other applications, see the guides for the applications.
In BMC Remedy AR System 8.0.00, the installer displays a warning message indicating the required space for additional installation of CMDB or ITSM applications.
A common issue is that a router's Auto Negotiate option can incorrectly set the router to 10 MB Half Duplex. NICs, routers, and other network devices then agree on the fastest speed to communicate together, but that speed is usually too slow. To remove this variable, if all the network devices can communicate at 1 GB Full Duplex, set them as such, and disable the Auto Negotiate option on the router.
For technical assistance on installing your database, contact the database vendor.