Installing the approval server in a server group
In a BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System server group environment, two or more servers share the same database. If one server stops working, another one continues to process requests. See Configuring server groups.
In a server group environment, when an AR System server becomes unavailable, the newly active AR System server performs the following actions:
- Sets Approval-Server-Suspended: T in the ar.cfg (ar.conf) file on the unavailable server. This indicates that the approval server on that AR System server is unavailable for processing.
- Sets Approval-Server-Suspended: F in the local ar.cfg (ar.conf) file. The local approval server begins processing the approval requests.
Consider that servers with the following configuration are used to set up a server group named SvrGrp:
To install the approval server in a server group
- Install the AR System server on SvrA so that svrgrpdb hosts the AR System server data files.
- Install the AR System server on SvrB, as follows:
- Use svrgrpdb as Database Name or Connection String.
- Choose the Server Group mode to install the AR System server.
- Install the approval server on SvrA and SvrB.
- Log on to SvrA, and perform the following steps:
- In the AR System Administration Console in a browser, select System > General > Server Information.
- On the Configuration tab, select the Server Group Member check box.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Restart the server for the changes to take effect.
Repeat step 4 for SvrB.
The change in Server Group Name is effective only when all servers in the group are restarted.
- Log on to any one of the servers, and perform the following steps:
- Open the AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form.
- Configure the approval server operation of Server SvrA to hold Rank 1, and save the form.
- Configure the approval server operation of Server SvrB to hold Rank 2, and save the form.
- Restart SvrA and SvrB for the changes to take effect.
For information about guidelines to set operation rankings, see Guidelines to set operation rankings for the server group.