FIPS encryption options
To be used by U.S. Federal government agencies, software must comply with Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 200. According to FIPS 200, information that needs cryptographic protection must be handled by software that complies with FIPS 140-2.
The following products include a FIPS encryption option:
- BMC Remedy Encryption Performance Security — When this option is activated, AR System encrypts network traffic by using AES CBC with a 128-bit key for data encryption and a 1024-bit modulus for the RSA key exchange, and SHA-1 for message authentication.
- BMC Remedy Encryption Premium Security — When this option is activated, AR System encrypts network traffic by using AES CBC with a 256-bit key for data encryption and a 2048-bit modulus for the RSA key exchange, and SHA-1 for message authentication.
The built-in BMC Remedy Encryption Standard Security product does not include a FIPS option.
To activate FIPS encryption, see Activating FIPS compliance.
From the 8.0.00 release of BMC Remedy AR System, Atrium SSO integration is now FIPS compliant. For more information, see Configuring BMC Atrium SSO integration.
FIPS-compliant AREA and ARDBC LDAP plug-ins
When you install the AR System server, the FIPS-certified Network Security Services (NSS) 3.11.4 libraries from Mozilla are added to the following Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) plug-ins:
- AR System External Authentication (AREA)
- AR System Database Connectivity (ARDBC)
To comply with FIPS 140-2, the plug-ins must use SSL to connect to the LDAP server.
These libraries provide the capability to comply with FIPS 140-2. To make your LDAP environment actually compliant with FIPS 140-2, you must further configure your LDAP server. For more information, see the Federal government FIPS 200 and 140-2 guidelines and your LDAP server documentation.
FIPS 140-2 certification
The following FIPS-certified libraries provide the cryptography used by the Performance and Premium FIPS encryption options:
- Network Security Services (NSS) 3.11.4
- OpenSSL FIPS 1.2
- RSA Crypto-J 4.0 FIPS-140