Enabling full text search
Full text search (FTS) is an optional feature that you can install with the BMC Remedy AR System server. This section discusses the capabilities, performance, and administration of the FTS feature.
This section contains information about:
- Re-indexing considerations
- Setting up FTS to search across multiple forms
- Defining a field for FTS
- Performing searches with FTS
- How FTS indexing works
FTS is typically much faster than using the native database searching functionality when searching in long text fields. It is also the only method available in BMC Remedy AR System for searching text within attached documents.
With FTS, you can use your knowledge base. You can access your company's history of solving problems, which is sometimes stored in long text fields or attachments. With the FTS option, you can easily search long text fields to find solutions to related problems.
FTS solves many problems that users encounter when performing database searches, including:
- Searching long text and attachment fields. The FTS option enables you to index character, diary, and attachment fields for searching, and then matches entries from those fields against the search criteria that you specify. Like database indexes, an FTS index can greatly decrease the time required for a database search.
- Improving search performance by searching large volumes of data.
- Defining how the server interprets wildcards to customize search performance to your specific needs .
- Performing case-insensitive searches. Administrators can enable or disable case sensitivity.
- Ranking search results according to their relevance to the search criteria. The more relevant a search result is, the greater the weight. For more information, see Causing accrued and weighted results with FTS.
The process for setting up FTS is as follows:
- Install FTS with BMC Remedy AR System. (See the Installing section.)
- Configure the server for FTS. (See Configuring full text search.)
- Index fields for FTS. (See Defining a field for FTS.)
- (optional) Add a form search field to a form. (See Providing a shortcut for specifying expanded FTS qualifications.)
- (optional) Set up forms for multiple-form FTS. (See Setting up FTS to search across multiple forms.)
- Re-index, as needed. (See Re-indexing considerations.)