Configuring the server group check interval
The Check Interval setting determines how often each server in the group identifies itself to other servers in the group, as well as how often it checks to see whether other servers are still alive. The Check Interval works together with the Delinquent Threshold to determine the total time from a server failure to when the next ranked server takes over an operation. See Delinquent threshold.
Checking server group status and reporting status generates a certain amount of database traffic, so you should tune this setting to balance the time to failover against the frequency of posting the check and query to the database.
To set the Check Interval
- Open the AR System Administration: Server Information form.
- Click the Advanced tab.
Setting the check interval on the Advanced tab
- In the Check Interval field, enter how often you want the server to identify itself and check the status of other servers in the group.
- Default — 60 seconds
- Minimum — 30 seconds
- Maximum — None
If you change this value after a server group is running, you must restart all the AR System servers.
The information shared between servers in the group includes:
- The current server's own status
- Whether any server is delinquent
- The parameters needed for sending signals
- Information about operational responsibilities
For more information, see Setting failover rankings for servers and operations.
- Click OK.
- Restart each server in the server group.